Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what're you running for engine oil?

An amsoil rep came into my work to get his tires rotated and brakes inspected. He did 1 year 25,000 mile oil change intervals. He was driving a 2000 Explorer 5.0L with over 230k miles on it, owned since new. I found that impressive.

SubaruAlliance, have you ever used, or even heard of, the 'test' you can do with motor oil on cardstock? A good business card will work pretty well if it's on white paper. It can be a pretty good, basically free way to keep tabs on some aspects of a motor oil's condition. I can't recall right now what the sort of 'common' name is, or I'd tell you the exact phrase to search the internet for to get some good photos and instructions. Just a thought.

Either Pennzoil 5w30 or Formula Shell 5w30, whatever is on sale. Right now it is a mix of both as I didn't have enough of either on hand to do a change.

The car runs so much better with the PureONE oil filter than it did with a base model Fram that I am convinced. PureONE for me. Nice that it is the closest to Subaru's bypass valve specs of my aftermarket options.

He was driving a 2000 Explorer 5.0L with over 230k miles on it, owned since new. I found that impressive.

what's impressive is a Ford Exploder with that many miles on it. Salesman....has something to gain....claiming that many miles on a Ford....that's not an inline six....i'm calling BS on the salesman. :lol: :lol:

Guy I used to live with had a honda accord for like a decade and gobs of miles. He went over 30,000 miles without changing regular dino oil. There's plenty of stories like that, I don't think it points to the efficacy of the methods. :lol: Some people value incidental experiences, and that's cool not everyone needs to be numbers driven, but they don't show much statistically or quantitatively.

Edited by grossgary

SubaruAlliance, have you ever used, or even heard of, the 'test' you can do with motor oil on cardstock? A good business card will work pretty well if it's on white paper. It can be a pretty good, basically free way to keep tabs on some aspects of a motor oil's condition. I can't recall right now what the sort of 'common' name is, or I'd tell you the exact phrase to search the internet for to get some good photos and instructions. Just a thought.

No I haven't heard of any type of test like that. i usually keep an eye on, like i said i check it monthly, no leaks and doesn't burn any oil.

some food for thought, the army uses some family dollar type oil, and we send samples to be tested and we only change it when they tell us it's due. (annually on average) they can even tell us to keep an eye on engine, tranny, or hydraulic's parts that are getting ready to fail based on the test results. pretty cool.