Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I used valvoline 5w/30 high mileage with a quart of lucas oil stabilizer on my 90 legacy with high miles. Worked great. I had smoking sometimes before and after no more smoke. Plus I did pick up a bit of mileage and seemed to have more oomph.

Makes for a pricey oil change but....

I just used NAPA filters.

Valvoline Maxlife went to a synth blend. I tried it in recent oilchange and it seemed to free up a sticky lifter. Also I used a PureOne filter and after aprox 5-600 mi the oil is still clear where it's hard to see it on the stick.

Speaking of dipsticks or politics; When was the last time you saw 69 weasels lofted up by the tail and waxed with red paint?

Sure. Sorry, i thought i read an invitation. Something else which may puzzle a new owner is the dipstick notch. When the oil is dark it is easy to think the notch is the full line which is actually 1/ 2qt below, with a "dot". The owner's manual says the "dot" is the fullpoint. Yet, I like others ran around at "notch"

point with no problems. Now that i think about it it's pretty cool. The notch is where you fill it to at an oil change. Then you maintain it at the dot because the filter is no longer empty.

Valvoline oils, for engine and transmission are really the cutting edge at the moment....especially for use in Subarus!

Maxlife is available here in Europe as semi-synth 10W-40, and a full-synth 5W-40.

Maxlife would be my clear recommendation. NO additives.

And a Purolator or Genuine filter.

I switched to the Maxlife 5w 30 to clean up a gummy lifter. (I think it didn't like Castrol) About 2000 miles (rough guesstimate) after the first change the lifter started talking again. I let it go another 500 miles or so with intermittent convo from the perp and changed it. Now up to about 2000 miles on the second change and waiting to see if it shows up again. Using Purolator filters.

If it doesn't use much oil over an OCI for you, I'd stick with whatever good dino is on sale. Personally I like Pennzoil and Formula Shell, but whatever floats your boat. If it is using oil then Valvoline Maxlife or Pennzoil High Mileage.

I'm a fan or PureONE oil filters myself.