Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy GT 2.5 vs Outback 2.5 engines

After a year of driving it, I've noticed a marked power decrease with my '09 Outback 2.5 motor vs my old '98 Legacy GT 2.5 motor. Not the same 'oomph'(torque, etc.). Is it just me? Is there some tuning issues that are at play? Both engines are/were Subaru stock w/o any modifications.

Just curious. Thanks...

basically the same engine and power figures.

the legacy is a sportier and lighter car than your newer outback so might just be weight and vehicle. the GT's i've had definitely drive very nice, so it's not surprising it would have a better feel. the outbacks sit higher too, so worse handling, better ground clearance, and more wind resistance, roof racks, etc.

both were the same type of trans, auto or manual? might have a different feel?

a cursory glance shows a possible 400 pound weight difference...but i didn't really study or anything. so - toss a few people in your old GT and see how it does?

i love the way the GT's drive, they do have a great feel to them. but i like the ground clearance of the OBW's better. just different. i'm thinking about upgraded sway bars for the OBW, would never cross my mind when driving a GT.

there is no comprsen hear hear a older gt has a different fule mapping and a lot less bs on it the intake runners of newer cars are more restricive smaller flowing injercters and more restrictive exhaust rember these are tre hugger cars no affence:grin::lol:

I was under the impression that the phase I EJ25 (96-99 or whatever) was interference because it generated the extra 10hp and then they switched to non-interference starting with phase II because of the "broken timing belt kills your engine issue." I'm no expert though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ25

good write-up about which phases were in which years and what kind of power they are producing. unfortunately it doesn't have information about interference or non-interference. If anyone has a good solid source for that information that would be cool.