Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale loss of oil pressure

My 92 Loyale losses oil pressure when it warms up. If I continue to drive it it starts to get tight and stalls.

The auto choke when cold has also stopped working.

The engine isn't making any LOUD noises eccept it's usual sewing machine sticky valve sounds when cold. Sounds quiet after it gets warm.

My mechanic thinks it is a failed oil pump. Also this problem came on suddenly not gradually. Was driving fine, and one morning I drove it to town ( about 10 minutes ) and I noticed the loss of oil pressure.

Any ideas? I am going to explain the problem to a long time Subaru mechanic tomorrow and tow it in if he will check it out. I love this car, and I use it as a second for a beach car for my dogs and when I am not driving the Ranger for work. However, if it is a major engine problem it is going to get towed to the dump.

Too bad too becuase I have kept it up real well with timing belts, axles and even a new rebuilt transmission a while ago.

Only has about 130,000 on it!!

My 92 Loyale losses oil pressure when it warms up.

That is normal for these - they very often read 0 on the gauge when warm. Consult your owners manual - it's in there. I just installed a brand new factory oil pump and rebuilt lifters into an EA82 I own - runs absolutely perfect with no valve noises - gauge still reads 0 at idle when hot.

If the guage doesn't come up to a higher pressure when the engine is reved then either the sending unit is shot (likely) or the pump is bad. You NEED to verify the pressure with a good shop gauge - the dash gauges are worse than useless. If you don't check the pressure with a second gauge then you don't really know anything and are just throwing parts at the problem (probably the wrong ones).

If I continue to drive it it starts to get tight and stalls.

If it's stalling when warm it's not because of a lack of oil. :rolleyes:. Trust me on this - it's not getting "tight". You would be here asking where to buy a new engine if that happened even once.

The auto choke when cold has also stopped working.

There is no choke - Loyale's are fuel injected. Sounds like you may have a bad Coolant Temp Sensor.

The engine isn't making any LOUD noises eccept it's usual sewing machine sticky valve sounds when cold. Sounds quiet after it gets warm.

Have the lifters rebuilt and inspect the oil pump - change the sending unit. Should be fine.

My mechanic thinks it is a failed oil pump. Also this problem came on suddenly not gradually. Was driving fine, and one morning I drove it to town ( about 10 minutes ) and I noticed the loss of oil pressure.

These oil pumps don't just "fail" at 130k. I have pulled plenty that were still fine at 250k. Sounds like your mechanic is guessing when he should be testing. You need an oil pressure reading from a quality gauge.... and possibly a new mechanic. :rolleyes:

Any ideas? I am going to explain the problem to a long time Subaru mechanic tomorrow and tow it in if he will check it out.

No need to tow it - if the lifters aren't ticking then you have adequate oil pressure. Just drive it over and have him test the oil pressure.

I love this car, and I use it as a second for a beach car for my dogs and when I am not driving the Ranger for work. However, if it is a major engine problem it is going to get towed to the dump.

Engines for these are very cheap - it is unlilkely that is a serious problem and even if it is - a good running EA82 should run you about $100 to $150. They are worthless.

Too bad too becuase I have kept it up real well with timing belts, axles and even a new rebuilt transmission a while ago.

Only has about 130,000 on it!!

I think you are over-reacting frankly. Find out for certain what the problem is before you decide to junk the car - it's very likely a $45 sending unit or something equally mundane.

GD

That is normal for these - they very often read 0 on the gauge when warm. Consult your owners manual - it's in there. I just installed a brand new factory oil pump and rebuilt lifters into an EA82 I own - runs absolutely perfect with no valve noises - gauge still reads 0 at idle when hot.

If the guage doesn't come up to a higher pressure when the engine is reved then either the sending unit is shot (likely) or the pump is bad. You NEED to verify the pressure with a good shop gauge - the dash gauges are worse than useless. If you don't check the pressure with a second gauge then you don't really know anything and are just throwing parts at the problem (probably the wrong ones).

If it's stalling when warm it's not because of a lack of oil. :rolleyes:. Trust me on this - it's not getting "tight". You would be here asking where to buy a new engine if that happened even once.

There is no choke - Loyale's are fuel injected. Sounds like you may have a bad Coolant Temp Sensor.

Have the lifters rebuilt and inspect the oil pump - change the sending unit. Should be fine.

These oil pumps don't just "fail" at 130k. I have pulled plenty that were still fine at 250k. Sounds like your mechanic is guessing when he should be testing. You need an oil pressure reading from a quality gauge.... and possibly a new mechanic. :rolleyes:

No need to tow it - if the lifters aren't ticking then you have adequate oil pressure. Just drive it over and have him test the oil pressure.

Engines for these are very cheap - it is unlilkely that is a serious problem and even if it is - a good running EA82 should run you about $100 to $150. They are worthless.

I think you are over-reacting frankly. Find out for certain what the problem is before you decide to junk the car - it's very likely a $45 sending unit or something equally mundane.

GD

Thanks, you have given me som great information. I am going to get the oil pressure checked out. Can't be driven though. After it warms up and the oil pressure drops to zero ( this has never happened before ) the car starts to chug and just stalls out; no power at all.

Anyway, I am not over reacting, just frustrated that it is going to take some time to find the problem, and find the right person to check it out. And yes, my "mechamic" is OK wi th breaks etc., but is not good at ALL with any kind of complicated diagnosis. However, I DO know a guy that knows Loyales REALLY well. Years ago when we had a Subaru dealer here on St. Croix, he was the trained mechanic, and has been the go to guy for these cars ever since.

I will let you ALL know what I find out over the next couple of weeks.

AND, not so easy to get a motor here on the island. Might find one in the states for cheap, but then it has to be shipped here and installed. Soooo, it starts to get expensive.

Norm

Not to hijack the thread but....GD, did you just say that the EA82 is a worthless engine? Inquiring minds want to know.:)

Heh - I meant that in the nicest possible way - what I meant was that they are worthless because the cars are old, common as dirt, and never seem to die. They are worthless in the same way that a used but good running 350 SBC is worthless..... you can't get any money for them because everyone has one or five in their shed taking up space :rolleyes:. I meant "worthless" in the literal sense - they are worth very little money.

The EA82 is an OK engine - the timing belts and lifter ticking are annoying and you occasionally have to change a head gasket, etc. But they rarely just up and fail. Personally I find it insulting that Subaru added the OHC's, poor lifter design, etc to the EA81 and only got like 10 to 15 HP from it. They could have easily got that with some bigger valves, larger carb, and a cam regrind on the EA81. But it was all about the marketing - being able to say they have a "New for 1985! SOHC engine with more power!". That's what it was about.

GD

They are annoying to work on - the timing belts, their propensity for valve ticking, weak cooling system..... etc. It's even more annoying that none of this is really fatal and you usually can't justify crushing them over it.

I hate them too. The day I never see another one will be a happy day at my shop.

Mostly it just really pisses me off that Subaru had to saddle me with these crappy belts and lifters when they could have just hot-rodded the EA81 and had the same damn thing.

Basically the EJ22 and the EA81 are considered the two high-points for reliability and ease of maintenance from that era (~ '85 to '95). The EA82 is considered the low point. That's not saying it's a bad engine when viewed amongst car engines from all manufacturers - just when viewed against other Subaru engines of it's time.

GD

• 3 months later...

Well, I just keep turning up like a bad penny, ha!

Well, I got my hands on a good oil pressure guage, and here are the results:

Same as the dash guage but doesn't go all the way to 0.

Start up: 70psi

As the engine warms, the pressure slowly drops to about 10psi and stays there.

The engine does not idle down unless you pop the excellerator.

• 2 months later...

Well, I took the front of the car off to make it easier to get at the front since the radiator and compressor condenser were almost shot and everything onn the front of the motor became VERY accessable. Removed the oil pump and it seemed OK except the big O-ring was REAL sloppy( big ) when it came out.

Probabaly just needed the kit but I had already ordered a pump so I replaced the who thing. Also replaced a real stiff water pump and all the idlers and bearings, timing covers ( nice to have Ebay salvage yards and nice guys to deal wi th, ha!) and timing belts, hoses, radiator etc., etc., etc. Geez!

Anyway, it is all back together and runs SWEET! Great oil pressure!

Now I have to replace a windshield.

The gold plated ol' Subaru, ha! But it is REAL nice driving it around instead of the Ranger when I fill er up, ha! I didn't re-install the AC since it would have needed the retro.

If I could find a mint all wheel drive wagon in the States and had the dinero for ocean freight ( the KILLER ), I would ship one down to replace this one.

Edited by viflyer