Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 OBW Keyless Entry Questions

I have a '97 OBW and I'm looking for an alarm/keyless entry package. I know there was a dealer installed option made, but would an aftermarket package be more cost effective or easier to install than the factory option (if it's still even available)?

Go easy on me, I'm new to cars in general.

are you wanting to install yourself or have someone else do it? if the later then call around - Subaru or other shops that do this kind of stuff.

it can be an annoying job to do yourself, it's just not simple for a few reasons. cutting or tapping wires, etc.

look at the bottom left of the screen and you'll see a bunch of keyless entry threads....the one's in the New Gen forum may be helpful. the search function will help, keyless stuff is asked all the time. unfortunately there's no simple one-size-fits-all answer every time.

you could post in the parts wanted forum too that you're looking for this, someone may have the parts you need.

Hit the local you pull and pay yards. Look up under the dash on the driver side, if you see a black plastic box 1"x4"x5" approximately with 2 or 3 plugs coming off it that's the keyless entry.

The advantage of going to a yard is you can see how it is installed and what it's wired to. When you pull the wires, take the complete harnes and the car side of the wiring as well at least enough that you can match it to your cars wiring. I'd stay with the Subaru unit.

• 2 weeks later...
Check to make sure you Don't already have one first. There would be a siren under the hood and a small black box near the inside fuse box. My 98 legacy had one and all I had to do was buy the fobs and program them. Same with my 2000

on 97s at least, the alarm part was an optional add on to the remote opener. the box was the same you just had to add the siren and the alarm part of the harness.

so the opener may be there even with out the alarm siren.