Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another freaking newbie

Hi y'all. Been lurking for a few hours last night and this morning and made the leap. I'm very impressed with the knowledge and willingness to share info I've seen.

I'm purchasing an '88 DL with 5spd manual and push button pt 4wd for $400 without even seeing it yet. Talked to the seller for an hour and he convinced me. I've long wanted to get a Subaru, especially this body style, and my Mighty Max's tranny broke with 280k a while ago and I need this vehicle now. I think the only thing it needs is a driver's side CV, so it's hard to say no.

My first experience with Subarus was nearly 40 years ago when I was just a tadpole. My sister's boyfriend had a mint green wagon and made the mistake of leaving the keys under the floor mat every time he came to see her. We lived in a tiny town east of San Diego, with plenty of dirt roads and fire trails and no one around for miles. So, as a 14 year old I couldn't resist. I learned to drive in that Subie all by myself! :grin: When my dad "taught" me to drive when I turned 16 he was astounded at how well I did, even with a manual trans-he thought I was just a natural. We lived on a hill, and I knew how to pop start it, so he was clueless to my escapades for a couple of weeks till my brother caught me and ratted me out. He always mentioned that he was getting worse gas mileage than he expected, and couldn't understand why. :eek:

That little Subie would go anywhere! And I never got stuck for more than a few minutes at a time. So, the seeds were planted decades ago for my future ownership. I helped a friends daughter with her GL a few years ago when she burned up the clutch, and I was very impressed with the engineering and precision of the fit and finish. That boxer engine really entrigued me, and I did some research, which brought me to the conclusion that I would, in fact, one day own one.

I am already planning on an EJ swap next summer, and hope to do a lift and 5 lug swap for more tire options.

So, thanks for the great info and ideas!! Hopefully soon I'll have some pics and updates.

Edited by Natureboy

Welcome,

I had a red, 88-DL, some put them down for only being a push button with out the low but I had so much fun with mine! Suspect you will do the same. $400 sounds good but I am sure there will be a couple... oh.. yea forgot about that's...but those things will get you to aquaint yourself with the new roo, at $400 you got room to fix any rut-roes and make it a great runner.

don't be in such a hurry to EJ... that's what I had planned to do but I live around alot of flat area so no need for up-hill power so I left it alone although I do have an 82 wagon wanting an EJ... soon?

Welcome and enjoyed your post, it's a great bit of history and yes, understand the temptation of taking it for a spin.

also, I gave my 88-DL to a family relation, year later it was totalled and the insurane gave him $1,100 for the car. I paid $160. for the car and $140. for a engine. so your price sounds good for being in one piece.

Edited by Indrid cold

Hey there Naturedude ! Sounds similar to my family. Around those times when we were young a Subaru was mearly an interesting notion. I believe my Dad & I went to see some model, probably a 360 and I commented about the dashboard being cheap or the underpanels cardboard. Some such thing. Well he never got a Suubie to replace the Superbeetle. He got into Saabs:-\ And my first New car was a '75 Scirroco:eek: Talk about trouble, talk about cheeeeep. Anyway I'm now convinced I missed a bunch along the way.

Yeah, after two vw buses i have given up on finding a bit of fahrvignugen in my life. nothing is quite as exciting as having the clutch cable on a 72 bus snap in rush hour traffic on a SoCal freeway. I learned to shift without a clutch in a hurry. The oldest, earliest subies were quite peculiar-who would have imagined they'd ever produce a WRX or STi? Funny how things change in 30 or 40 years!!:lol: No one in my family can understand my fascination with 80's japanese vehicles-most of them still drive domestic stuff. I've got 2 Mitsubishi Mighty Max's, an 85 toyota van, and a 1 ton toyota pickup-all of which still run, and all have more than 200k on the clock. I'm stoked to include a subie into my obsessive stable.

Beware, Subarus are an agressive brand. If you bring that DL home, it might start bullying your other cars and inviting more Subarus to hang out at your place, forcing all other brands out of your driveway. :lol:

These are great little cars and you will love yours, I'm sure. Doesn't hurt that they are cheap as chips to repair and, the 80's models anyway, are SOOOOO easy to work on.

Keep us updated!

Beware, Subarus are an agressive brand. If you bring that DL home, it might start bullying your other cars and inviting more Subarus to hang out at your place, forcing all other brands out of your driveway. :lol:

!

He is right! I once brought home an `85 Toyota van, and my `86 gl was so unhappy, it convinced the van into killing it self (Blown Head gasket). Welcome to the obsession, uhh.... hobby

These are great little cars and you will love yours, I'm sure. Doesn't hurt that they are cheap as chips to repair and, the 80's models anyway, are SOOOOO easy to work on.

Keep us updated!

You know, I kind of sensed that aggressiveness but passed it off to global warming. Thanks for the warning! All I need is a little more automotive mayhem and carnage in my driveway and the neighbors will have me locked up-again. By the way, I remember reading an article in Subaru Freak a few years ago that warned about the females of the species exhibiting extreme territorial behavior to other makes. They actually made a documentary and I remember a particularly gruesome episode when an owners girlfriend parked her VW Cabriolet a little too close. Parts everywhere. I'm sure someone besides me remembers.:confused:

welcome to the USMB!

and yes, these cars are very territorrial...

my first wagon (89 GL FWD 5 spd) got so jealous when we brought home another one that she wouldnt start - took me 3 days & gobs of emails, pm's and what not to figure out why...that and a lot of reassurance that she wasnt getting traded off for the new one, that it was for the other half... :lol:

We have a neighbor a few doors down with a Forester and a honda accord - guess which one stays outside at night?:lol:

We are back up to 7 Subarus in the family. It's always easy to tell people where we are - just look for the house with all the Subarus in the front yard.:lol:

Oh, and welcome to the board!