Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rack and pinion compatability?

Hello all. I have a question. On my 1995 postal wagon, I ripped out the rack and saw that the teeth on the inner actual sliding part were chewed to hell, and I can only imagine the condition of the pinion with nearly 90 degrees of steering wheel play. Here's my problem. Rock auto has the unit posted without the core for just slightly more than o'rillys with the core. Problem being that they don't actually have the rack for the legacy available and won't let me add it to my cart. I looked up the RHD rack for an impreza an Lo and behold! They had it. And for cheaper than the lego rack! Hell, it even comes with inners too!!!:eek: My question is, since subaru doesn't like to break the designs of their cars or parts, would the rack from the prez bolt into the lego? Thanks guys!

i'd be really surprised if it didn't work.

that being said, subaru steering racks very rarely fail and are relatively easy to replace - did you consider just getting a used unit? I guess being RHD makes that more difficult?

sometimes ebay has really cheap subaru racks - i've seen new rebuilt older gen ones for $30-$60 before, haven't looked up EJ's though...or RHD.

786-262-8100 / 305-992-7929 these guys have new rebuilts for $207 (shipping included from FL).

1-800-553-3283 $175 used, seems high but there aren't many out there.

Edited by grossgary

another guy posted on this forum that he has a 2000 impreza rack on his 98 legacy.

since a 98 Legacy rack will fit your 95 - my assumptions are that first gen and later gen impreza racks will fit yours as well.

sometimes the ebay listings are telling - in that they indicate cross overs information.

I think they should work. I looked it up on o'riellys for the LHD models and the part numbers were exactly the same. I just wanted some kind of confirmation. BTW, i looked on ebay, and they dont understand the concept of RHD or postal. All of the racks posted said that they fit EVERY subaru with an EJ.

Edited by Xanadu62

Older legacy and impreza use the same rack.

Contact one of the jdm engine importers. They will practically give the rhd racks away since most people don't use them when they swap in a jdm wrx engine and a turbo crossmember.

Since you are in texas try J-hot, they are on ebay and in texas, should save on shipping.

Ebay has Lego racks for 100.00 with shipping charges. Blu needs a rack as it leaks and feels like mud on a cold morning.

My shop said it is almost 3 hrs to replace book time, but they charge actual time, whichever is less.

So in reality how much time does it take. Winter is here so I can not do it myself and I do not know if it will last the winter.

Tried jhot. Unfortunately, they seem to be closing down. I shot them an email and they told me that they don't have anything for me, nor would they be getting anything else in at all. Do you know of any other importers around Dallas area?

There is a place in Virginia that is good and a few in Ontario Canada as well. I can't recall the names right now. Both sell on ebay.

Ebay has Lego racks for 100.00 with shipping charges. Blu needs a rack as it leaks and feels like mud on a cold morning.

My shop said it is almost 3 hrs to replace book time, but they charge actual time, whichever is less.

So in reality how much time does it take. Winter is here so I can not do it myself and I do not know if it will last the winter.

I can change a rack in about an hour.

I refuse to install the aftermarket rebuilt racks anymore. Way too many problems. Sometimes they leak right out of the box. Somtimes they last a week or a month. One car I put 2 in before the owner gave up and got a factory reman. You are much better off getting a low mileage used rack than a cheap rebuild.

• 1 year later...

Been doing a bit of research and found some things out. I still don't know if the inner parts are the same or not but, once again, nobody knows what "postal" means! I thought I had found a retailer with one for $500, but when I went to cash out it had the rich classified as a brighton rack. I looked up the part number and LO and BEHOLD! It came up with a list of parts that included, once again, every EJ vehicle. I hate parts distributors and like working with someone who I can actually TALK TO and confirm the part with rather than waiting for two weeks and paying shipping on a part that may or may not fit:banghead:. I've been talking to the newzealand guys and trying to see if I can get a rack and manual pedal assembly shipped here, but shipping from there is anal rape if it's a meter long or over... I love my car, but it's becoming a bit of a trailer whore...