Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber mpg

I was wondering what effect a weber would have on my ea81 wagon economically. Im assuming i would get worse mileage. Right now with the Hitachi Im gettin about 21~22 mpg and that's with letting it warm up for ten minutes every morning. But that seems kinda low. In the summer i get 24~26 But that still seems kinda low. It seems like it should be gettin in the low 30s. Any advice on improving that?

I would like to weberize it, but the small amount of Gain isn't worth a loss of fuel efficiency to me. I bought the car for a gas saver from my 3mpg ford truck.

Thanks,

ryan

Just ran the third tank of petrol through my new weber on Clod Brown the 85 Brat. All three tanks figured between 27-28 mpg. I'm pleased since it's cold here in Missouri now, and that's about 5 mpg better than the old leaking, slobbering Hitachi that was on it. Good Luck

You're getting 0mpg when you're warming it up, so quit that. Driving the car will warm it up, and you'll get >0mpg while doing so.

Find ways to keep the engine warm: combine trips, block off some grill area, go from mechanical to electric fan, add a cardboard hood insulator, or get a block or oil pan heater if you can park near an outlet.

You're getting 0mpg when you're warming it up, so quit that. Driving the car will warm it up, and you'll get >0mpg while doing so.

Find ways to keep the engine warm: combine trips, block off some grill area, go from mechanical to electric fan, add a cardboard hood insulator, or get a block or oil pan heater if you can park near an outlet.

Im aware of that. Problem is i work at 4 in the morning and frequently it is below 0* warming my car up is not negotiable because i don't wanna freeze my rump roast off for 5-10 minutes waiting for it to warm up and it runs like Hell when its cold. And i cant park close to an outlet so block heater is out. And being an ea81 car it already has electric fans. Im not complaining about the mileage Im getting now, i just know it can get better.

Im aware of that. Problem is i work at 4 in the morning and frequently it is below 0* warming my car up is not negotiable because i don't wanna freeze my rump roast off for 5-10 minutes waiting for it to warm up and it runs like Hell when its cold. And i cant park close to an outlet so block heater is out. And being an ea81 car it already has electric fans. Im not complaining about the mileage Im getting now, i just know it can get better.

Is your car completely undriveable when it's cold? You'll warm it up faster by driving it than by idling it, and you won't be racking up 0's by the minute.

It doesn't get down to zero here, but it was in the teens around thanksgiving. On cold mornings I wear a down jacket, hat & gloves, and I have a $1.99 fleece blanket (bonus points for the girlfriend who's always cold).

Maybe some butt heat would get you into your car sooner...

Yeah i read that thread last week i think. And my car really doesn't like driving when its cold. Im not concerned about the mileage Im getting now, ive just been looking into weberizing it and don't want to get worse mileage. I mean improving my Mileage would be a plus but i Think just a basic tune up like plugs wires cap and rotor would Prolly make a big difference...

It really all depends on how you drive it. When I switched from the hit-touch-e to the weber, my in town mileage did not change as long as I drove respectfully, and my highway mileage went up about 3mpg and I did not have as much trouble holding the speed limit.

During the winter, I would idle the engine to start the defrost process while I finished getting ready to work. I lost about 2 mpg on the tanks I did that on.