Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 EJ25D replacement options

Numbchux

I know I've seen a dozen threads like this over the years, I searched and found some, but didn't find the answer I was looking for....

A friend of mine has a '96 Legacy Outback AT, EJ25D. Sounds like the headgasket blew. She needs quick turnaround, cheap, and reliable.....I don't have the time to reseal the motor anytime in the next few months.....

BUT, my dad is parting out his '94 LGT. the tranny went on it, and due to rust, wasn't worth repairing. but has a good EJ22e. He replaced it with a very low-mileage '96 Legacy L, so he's still got a 22e, and probably won't need the spare.

How much of a PITA would it be to put that OBD I 22e in the Outback? Obviously bellhousing, exhaust, etc. would all bolt up. I'm thinking with the 2.5 wiring and sensors (where needed), it should all work just fine.....right?

right, you need a compatible wiring harness on the E22. i'm lazy and want charity work to be quick so i use a plug and play EJ22 intake manifold to bolt to the top of it, but with your extensive wiring experience.....

not sure about them all, but the OBDI EJ18 didn't have a knock sensor, but the hole was already there and tapped, so it was really hard :lol:. crank and cam sensors are probably the same and if not easily interchangeable.

I just installed a '96 2.2 into a '96 GT that had a blown 2.5. It was totally simple.

You need a '95 to '98 EJ22 intake manifold to go with that '94 engine - then it will bolt right in. If the 2.5 is in an automatic you will need a 2.2 manifold with EGR so you don't get a CEL. The '96 I found had the EGR so I was lucky - apparently it's a crap shoot from '96 to '98 but all the '95s have them.

Also get the power steering lines for the EJ22 - the '94's lines might work but a '95 to '98 will work better most likely (I know for sure they changed the pump reservoir.... etc).

Make sure to use the flexplate from the 2.5 if it's an automatic.

Other than that it drops right in and looks completely stock.

GD

rear 02 sensor has been failed for some time now....so the CEL has been on. So I really don't care if the EGR throws a code, as long as it still runs well.

I need an OBD II 2.2 intake manifold? why couldn't I just use the 2.5 engine harness under the OBD I manifold?

I've also got a 2.2 OBD II ECU sitting on the shelf. I might swap that out too so it's got the default fuel/ignition maps for the 2.2 and 87 octane (the '96 2.5 recommends 91...)

I really don't care if the EGR throws a code, as long as it still runs well.
early gen EJ22's have EGR right? if so it won't have a code. if you remove EGR it runs fine, i've done it both ways.

I need an OBD II 2.2 intake manifold?
no, just swap the harness like you said.

I've also got a 2.2 OBD II ECU sitting on the shelf. I might swap that out too so it's got the default fuel/ignition maps for the 2.2 and 87 octane (the '96 2.5 recommends 91...)
i've never noticed a difference between swapping EJ22 and EJ25 ECU's, but like you said just makes sense to match it as close as possible.

Sounds like my buddy still has the 2.2 out of his '95 impreza Lx from before his WRX swap. the bottom end is not in as good of shape as my dad's '94, but the intake and stuff might be worth pulling.

Yea, I don't think the ECU swap would be necessary. But I think the '96 25D is the only one to recommend higher-octane fuel...and I'd much rather have the ignition maps designed for 87.

Anyway, thanks you 2 for the help. I think that answers the questions I have.

This '96 I just swapped into runs GREAT on '87. I think there must be some differences in the GT gearing or the 2.5 torque converter because it accelerates much better than I would expect from a 2.2 auto in a heavy 2nd gen Legacy.

I have access to the ECU for the 2.2 but I don't see any reason to change it. Not based on the performance I'm getting from the 2.2. It doesn't feel like it's pulling any timeing to me.

Didn't know you could plug the OBD-II manifold harness into a 90 to 94 manifold.... guess it makes sense now that I think on it. I think only the Auto's had the EGR even in the early 90 to 94 OBD-I years.

GD

• 7 months later...

Follow-up, finally got around to doing it this week. Turned out the failure last winter wasn't as catastrophic as it sounded.

The '94 did not have an EGR (was a 5MT, but I don't think my '92 2.2 had one either, and it was from an AT).

I did not have to splice a single wire. 100% plug-n-play, all mechanical modifications.

What I did, was pull the accessories off the block (leaving power steering and A/C lines connected, just pulled the pumps out of the way). Pulled the intake manifold. dropped the exhaust. pulled the motor out.

Then I swapped the engine harness. There was a little goofy-ness with the purge solenoid, I opted to just swap it over and duplicate the vacuum line layout (including the Ts for the 2 sensors on the strut tower that weren't there on the '94). no EGR...left that plug dangling. Crank and Cam angle sensors are wired different, the '94 runs separate wires back to their own plugs on the back of the motors, '95+ has a plug right on the sensor and the wiring is integrated into the engine harness. I swapped the sensors, totally straightforward. knock sensor plugged right in. TPS sensor was different, still 3 wires, I assume the signal would work, but instead I opted to swap the throttle bodies.

Then install just like it was meant to be there.

I have not yet swapped the ECUs, but I will. Butt-dyno says it's running excellent on 89 octane, but I would still rather have the ignition maps designed for 87.

Power is not bad. Faster than my 1.6 Celica.....Outback gears definitely help!