Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am looking at a 3.0R Outback with 161k miles. The asking price is almost $11k but it is loaded and in great cosmetic condition. It has a clean 1 owner carfax with outstanding maintenance documentation. Documents show regular oil changes and other work at one major dealer up to this point. My question is: can I expect to realistically get 260k miles without major service on this engine? Also, is this a reasonable price?

great motors. yes you could expect a relatively low maintenance 100,000 more miles out of it. you'd want to replace the serpentine belt pulleys (two of them) immediately when you get it. they are very common failure items and will fail i'd bet money on it. luckily they are REALLY easy, so if you have a good mechanic they're cheap. bearings pop right out and new ones tap right back in - i got mine for like $4 and it takes about 20 minutes each, really easy.

probably end up needing O2 sensors or TPS, or something like that, those are two issues you see sometimes.

i'd expect like one or two things like that, which will give signs or a check engine light and you replace them, not that big of a deal and very simple jobs.

that's a horrible price and mileage. i've been looking with a friend of mine for about the same thing and i own one. i'd have to try pretty hard to spend that much on one with that kind of mileage.

check Edmunds, NADA, Kelly Blue Book price guides on line for used car prices, per your zip code, and by millage. Do print outs on each. You should be able to see suggested retail price when for sale by owner, and by a dealer. Print out the results and take with you as a negotiating tool, if and when you make an offer to buy the car. You don't list what year the car is, to be able to advise you if $11k asking price is good or not.

161K miles on the odo will certainly lower the value of the car no matter what model year it is.

KBB says something more than $13k.

KBB will always be unrealistically high--it's designed as a tool for dealers.

Check out Edmunds TMV (True Market Value.) Enter the pertinent facts and you'll get something closer to real-world pricing.

Good luck.

what he said about edmunds. might want to spend some time on autotrader or other online sites.

in your case buying from a private seller will time and again give you the best deal and a far better car. dealers often know nothing about cars. what has a higher percentage of being a well maintained no issue vehicle?

1. a dealer trade in or used car they bought at auction (for pennies on the dollar i might add - i've been to dealer only auctions)

2. a one owner vehicle private seller with all the service records.

give option two a chance. there are independent companies that will go to the car and inspect it thoroughly. for what you're looking for it's really easy to find a great deal on a well maintained one owner car with great confidence.