Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New engine (22) new issue no spark 1 cyl

I rebuilt the engine in a 97 impreza outback sport. It had set for 2 years.

Starting it was a bit of a pain but I did get it to start, then it would die.

Drained the gas out of the tank and put fresh stuff in and it started and was running fine for 20 minutes. I was getting ready for a quick test drive and checked the power steering res. It was low so I was topping it off and the car died. Will start, get to 1k rpm then die out, will not pick up any when I try to give it gas.

This has new plugs in it and a new fuel filter.

I am in the middle of no where at the moment so shop equipment is hard to come by. (scanner, fuel pressure guage, etc...)

Any Ideas or anyone have any similar problems?

I am searching the new gen forum now.

Hush

Edited by hush777
new issues

Cleaned out the maf box and sensor in there, check engine light some times is on. Still no start.

Gonna pull the battery cable and let it set for a bit to see if it will clear any codes out and then try again.

I drained all the gas by pulling out the pump and siphoning the tank through the access.

Pump sounds fine when I turn on the key.

Hush

Edited by hush777

If it ran with the MAF disconnected and the coolant temp sensor disconnect would kill it I am inclined to say that they both need to be replaced. When you disconnect the MAF the car goes into limp mode and then when you reconnect it the ECU tries to resume it's normal mode. If it runs crappy with the MAF connected I would think that there is something wrong with it. The coolant temp sensor tels the ECU how much gas to give the engine. It may be giving a lean or overly rich startup and that would cause you to have starting problems. A new CTS is only about 25.00 so I would go with new. The MAF is pretty pricey so I would go with a known good used one. If you want an MAF I think I may have one as long as they are the same as the one on a regular outback. I can check that on my end for you.

My wife and daughter got up to watch the eclipse and didn't wake me. I was kind of disappointed this morning. I don't think I will live to see another one. Bummer.

Good luck

At least not another one on the winter solstice.

The car will try to start with the cts disconnected, but I think the signal is wrong and it isn't giving enough gas to start with the engine cold. It was trying to start.

Am going to check the electrical to the fuel pump and see if I can get someway to check the pressure from the pump.

Hush

disconnected the maf and it started and ran (not great). ran it for 20 minutes, connected the maf and it died after about 30 seconds and would not start up again.

Diconnected the maf and it started back up, so I am heading to boise to grab one from barger matson ($35).

Hush

Bad gas and varnish in the injectors. This crappy car gas we have no has a shelf life of about 4 months before it starts to go bad. Nasty stuff.

Pull those injectors- be sure to have new seals, and clean the injectors with injector cleaner.

There may be a way to do it with them installed, but I've never done it.

I had a similar problem with my 2000 impreza, after it sat for about 6 months. Cleaning the injectors did the trick.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Got the new Maf and put it in and the car purrs.

I did clean the injectors a bit while I was rebuilding the engine and added a bottle of lucas injector cleaner in with the new gas, so I think I got it all. Did a 35 mile test drive and the car and I are both happy.

Check engine light is still on but it was always on before the car died.

It was always showing the knock sensor in the codes so I may need to get another on. Will drive it for a couple day during the breakin time and then have autozone pull the codes for me.

This engine has new everything and went back in the 97 Imp outback sport body. The body has about 363k on it and the only reason we did the rebuild was the keyway on the crack got messed up. This is a different crank, so that is not gonna happen this time. The engine had the 363k and was still going strong when I pulled it.

Hush

Glad to hear that yo are back up and running again. If you have a knock sensor code, you should fix it. The car goes into a retarded mode to prevent detonation and you are surely wasting gas and suffering in performance. The sensor is easy to replace and doesn't cost that much.

The old lady was getting ready for work and the car started miss firing. So I took her down and then when I got back did some cheking. The plug for #1 cyl is not firing and I even took the wire off the coil and it didn't spark any to the grounds near by, even when I took a screwdriver and touch ground and came close to the coil tip.

Bummer....

So shouldn't the coil also be out on the #2 cyl? as they are a pair right?

Plug fires just fine on #2 cyl and car wants to die if I pull that plug wire off.

Any profound thoughts all?

Thanks

Hush