Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine bay smoking

When I get off the highway and I come to a comPlete stop smoke pores out of the engine bay. There is no sounds or anything runs like a champ but there's smoke. It's coming from down by the oil pan and oil filter I think,that's the general location of the smoke and it's white, doesn't really have a color.amd it goes away after about five minutes or so. All my fluids are full so I have no idea what it is.

Any info fill be well appreciated.

Thank you

SJ

My car had these symptoms when the head gasket was blown. There were big clouds of white steam coming from the engine compartment. It would also overheat unless I kept the radiator topped off.

You most likely have coolant leaking out somewhere. It might be head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, or simply a radiator hose or heater hose that has cracked. Having a bad head gasket can increase the chances of radiator hose problems because A: bad head gaskets contribute to overheating, and B: the bad gasket can let compression pressures into the cooling system depending on where it is blown.

White smoke that smells sweetish is coolant, blue smoke that smells smoky is oil.

I hope this helps.

My car had these symptoms when the head gasket was blown. There were big clouds of white steam coming from the engine compartment. It would also overheat unless I kept the radiator topped off.

You most likely have coolant leaking out somewhere. It might be head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, or simply a radiator hose or heater hose that has cracked. Having a bad head gasket can increase the chances of radiator hose problems because A: bad head gaskets contribute to overheating, and B: the bad gasket can let compression pressures into the cooling system depending on where it is blown.

White smoke that smells sweetish is coolant, blue smoke that smells smoky is oil.

I hope this helps.

Yes it does thank you!

The smoke does smell sweet. I'm going to get under it tomorrow and look. I guess I should go ahead and get new gaskets anyways.

SJ

My car does the same thing, But it was from the oil pan gasket, and a torn cv, that just caked up down below and the exhaust heats it up enough to make it smoke a little and smell like burnt oil, not to sweet though, but still smokes, and I have swapped the engine to a low mile ea81 import, still does it with no leakes anywhere

inspect the hose from the top of the block to the thermostat. it may have a pinhole leak that is spraying forward, evaporating as fast as it leaks, or is pooling up on the top of the motor and dripping off the back or around the #3 spark plug onto the y-pipe. This is likely. check the coolant hoses around the throttle body as well.

you can make this repair with a long screwdriver and about 6 inches of 1/4" hose. make sure the hose you get is not fuel line hose as it will fail again down the road.

Also, follow the lower radiator hose to the water pipe on the front of the engine, and look for leaks where the water pipe goes into the waterpump. there is an o-ring on thos pipe where it simply fits into the water pump housing. There is a 12mm bolt that secures this part, sometimes just loosening the bolt and shoving the pipe in more or giving it a twist can seal it up. The o-ring is cheap and it is a one bolt repair if this is leaking. this will drip down the water pump and near the oil pump/filter/pan

Edited by MilesFox