Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gl and gl-10

i just moved and my neighbor has a gl and a gl-10 that have been setting for about 10 years. the bodys on both are in bad shape and the insides are in good shape. the gl is 1.8 fi with duel range 5 speed and around 103000 miles (ran and drove great. the gl-10 of course is turbo and has about 114000 miles on it but i guess the auto trans is bad. i've been thinking about buying them both and building one good one. it would get lifted for shure. but i was thinking about putting the turbo motor into the duel range car. have been reading about newer engine swaps. what would be best to do and i want to keep the duel range because it will go off road. open to suggestions before i buy them.

Do it the other way around and put the dual range in the turbo gl-10. The only other determining factor would be to put the best part int he cleanest body.

aside from that, the mileage on both of these motors is nil, since the mileage is pretty close, and both engines would need the same work due to age such as hoses and timing belts

if you are going to do a swap, use an ej22. Put it in the d/r car. it would be too much work to put a ea82 turbo in the other car when its easier to swap trans'. Then, you can sell the turbo car by getting the trans to work.(or have 2 soobs!) It is probably a stuck governor valve, which is easy enough to fix.

Quite frankly I would leave both to rot in the yard. Neither is really worth messing with if the body's are shot like that.... The dual-range is over-rated off road. Anything it can do you can also do with an EJ22 and an automatic (built in low-range via automatic transmission's T/C).

Get yourself a nice first-gen Legacy auto, drop in some torque cams, Outback struts/spring, and do the paddle shifter mod.

GD

yo, i dont remember where i say this, but someone put the dual transfer case in a Legacy. if anything, thats what you should do. front wheel drive for around town and fuel economy, and 4 wheel drive for screwing around. oh, and snow. but if you have the time, and just a little bit more money then what it would cost to do the EA82 swap (just stay out of that, listen to GD) you should just do the EJ22 swap. its the same cost for all the overhaul parts for the EJ22, and they are easier to get, the only thing you have to do differently is a bell housing adapter (talking about the dual ranger case here) and have your flywheel bolt pattern modded so your ea82 flywheel bolts up to the ej22 crank. now, what GD said about just letting the cars rot, you dont need to do that. take which ever one is in the best condition and restore it. then do a ej22 swap, if your capable of handling all the re-wiring your gonna have to do.

also, i might add that restoring and rebuilding is much more fun, educational, but also harder and more work then buying a good condition car. my belief is in building cars pretty much myself by getting POS's that need work and making them like brand new again. and the great thing is, so far in life each one has payed off. also, you can have waaaaaaaaay more pride in a car that you put tones of blood and sweat into. like the 1988 GL-10 i just bought. bought it with a cracked block. got a junk yard EA82 turbo engine, completely rebuilding it, gotta do a little body work (3 dents, 2 small, 1 large) and then im repainting the car. definitely will be a lot more pride (for me) with my car then going out and buy something new thats already built.

where in the hell is the fun in that?????

so, good luck on making your decision.

all work on car is no problem. love taking junk and making it look good again. just like restoring a old muscle car you dont just let it rot you build it better. gd i know you dont like this engine i have read some of your posts. all ready had a first gen legacy with outback struts. been there done that. want something diff , like it when people say your f'ing nutz for doing that. you can't do a head swap from a 2.2 to the 1.8 can you? i'm guessing prob not but thought i would ask anyway.

Edited by rtcaravan

No - the engine's are completely different design's. You can't swap components across the EA/EJ boundary.

Differernt either means it's a bad idea or is going to cost a LOT. I'm all for doing custom and unique stuff but here's the thing - none of what you are thinking about is new or different - it's been done hundreds of times. The unromantic truth is that most of those people moved on to the EJ platforms because they are better and the price has come down to where the EA stuff is just a waste of time. For the same money I can build a better machine with EJ parts. And now that an adaptor from the EJ to the Toyota transmissions is going to be availible it renders the D/R pretty much a waste of time for an off-road build too. Being they are EA82's and one of them is a turbo...... that's just another nail in the coffin. If it were an EA81....... maybe. But even that is a labor of love at this point - many of us have been there and done that and the results are in - the EJ stuff is better! EA82 is synonomous with frustration and anger.

My build is going to involve a '99 Forester, Toyota tranny and t-case..... torque cams...... that's where it's at. :brow:

GD

No - the engine's are completely different design's. You can't swap components across the EA/EJ boundary.

Differernt either means it's a bad idea or is going to cost a LOT.

GD

Not everyone had 30 ea82's before coming into an ej. At least this guy has 2 cars at once, and parts wont cost anything!

as stated, dude has already done the ej thing. Nothing wrong with the old gl stuff, the ones that the 'seasoned' subaru enthusiast is 'done with'' (or truly, in love with). Why not keep them around. swapping parts with cars you already have is easier than "bad idea or costs alot"

If this guy had a pair of first gen brats, no one would be telling him to go find himself another project. Not everyone is so wet behind the ears to figure out what they are doing. It's not like everyone who pops up here with a GL has never had a car before, or that we(usmb) are the only ones who can comprehend a subaru.

If you have a pair of cars to work with, you can't go wrong at all.

Edited by MilesFox

I would drive them. I have seen the worst. I have driven the worst. But worst is better than none, if that is all you can get. The cars themselves deserve it. No one in PA would believe that you could find one with no rust if they had never seen one.

all work on car is no problem. love taking junk and making it look good again. just like restoring a old muscle car you dont just let it rot you build it better.

seems like you and i have the same beliefs. its good to find other people who like restoring cars the way i do. good luck with everything, keep posting how your work is going, and dont forget pics. pics are always nice.

Restoration is all find and dandy but why start with a 1980's Japanese station wagon with under 100 HP? Especially a model that you can pickup (in running/driving condition) with NO rust and a perfect solid body for about $500 just about every day out here on the west coast.....

That's basically admitting that all the work you are about to do is worth less than the cost to ship a car from one coast to another - which runs about $900 or so. I can think of a lot better ways to waste my time than patching rust holes to save 900 clams. Especially on something that wasn't very pretty when it was new and hasn't run or moved in a decade.

Just aint worth it. Too many strikes against it.

Doesn't PA have some pretty hardcore laws about rust holes and such - aren't inspections manditory around that area?

Just start with a rust-free west-coast unit. It's not that hard or that expensive considering the alternatives.

GD

Restoration is all find and dandy but why start with a 1980's Japanese station wagon with under 100 HP? Especially a model that you can pickup (in running/driving condition) with NO rust and a perfect solid body for about $500 just about every day out here on the west coast.....

That's basically admitting that all the work you are about to do is worth less than the cost to ship a car from one coast to another - which runs about $900 or so. I can think of a lot better ways to waste my time than patching rust holes to save 900 clams. Especially on something that wasn't very pretty when it was new and hasn't run or moved in a decade.

Just aint worth it. Too many strikes against it.

Doesn't PA have some pretty hardcore laws about rust holes and such - aren't inspections manditory around that area?

Just start with a rust-free west-coast unit. It's not that hard or that expensive considering the alternatives.

GD

oh, its all right for me. i dont plan on selling either of my Subaru's. i'll have them till the day i die if the economy doesnt destroy me. i have money to fix mine up, since neither of them actually needed that much work. i now have all the parts ordered to start putting my EA82 turbo back to together and i will have it finished and installed by this Sunday. But like i said, i dont plan on getting rid of these cars. really, depending on the extent of the work to be done might justify whether or not its restorable, and what the sentimental value of the car is to the person who owns it. like i have a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a 3.8 liter V6. my grandparents bought it for me for my first car. i hated the damn thing, put grew to like it soo much over the 2 years i have had it now that i could never get rid of it, even though it would be in Showroom condition with a new paint job. i actually did put it on craigslist once trying to sell it cause i wanted the money for my Subaru. i posted it for 1800 dollars as, HOPING no one would want to pay that. well, the next day a guy contacted me and actually came over and say it. he said he needed to discuss it with his family, actually came back with his wife so she could see it, then they said they would let me know. the next day he called me to tell me he wanted it. i was aww struck, i didnt want to sell. i told him that "I" needed to think about and cancelled selling it to him. i have had my van so long that the sentimental value of it was too high for me, or anyone else (cept him) and i just cant sell it. i have a Pioneer stereo deck, 2 12 inch MTX subs 400 watt max, and a 1000 watt alpine amp. i installed everything myself and grew to like the car. after doing a headgasket some 3000 miles later, i really didnt want to get rid of it.

sorry, i just said a bunch of stuff that people wont car about, but my point is, after you have put soo much of yourself into a vehicle, if your really happy with the way it turned out, you wont care how much money you have in it, and that you can only sell it for less then you put in. you'll like it sooo much you wont want to part with it. i'll never be able to part with my van, and by the time im done with my Subaru, i KNOW i will never be able to get rid of it either. plus i like that the new 1988 GL-10 has A/C and my 1987 GL doesnt. i need A/C cause i had a mild heat stroke while doing construction work with a local contractor. thats another reason why i like my van, A/C.

If it's sentimental value that you want to talk about then you should probably not ask what you should do around an internet forum that deals mostly with helping people *save* money on their car repairs, and or repair vehicles that woudn't otherwise be fixed because of cost vs. value.

We will tell you to drive it off a cliff if that's the most economical way to get you to/from work in a reliable manner.

And this post was about two cars sitting in some neighbor's yard - obviously there isn't much sentimental attachment here. Thus he would be better served shipping a rust-free example in from the west coast. All it takes is a bit of legwork and some phone calls.

I gaurantee that more time and money will be spent ressurecting a car from two derilect broken-down lawn ornaments than just buying one that runs and drives and having it trucked a few thousand miles.

GD

If it's sentimental value that you want to talk about then you should probably not ask what you should do around an internet forum that deals mostly with helping people *save* money on their car repairs, and or repair vehicles that woudn't otherwise be fixed because of cost vs. value.

We will tell you to drive it off a cliff if that's the most economical way to get you to/from work in a reliable manner.

And this post was about two cars sitting in some neighbor's yard - obviously there isn't much sentimental attachment here. Thus he would be better served shipping a rust-free example in from the west coast. All it takes is a bit of legwork and some phone calls.

I gaurantee that more time and money will be spent ressurecting a car from two derilect broken-down lawn ornaments than just buying one that runs and drives and having it trucked a few thousand miles.

GD

true. it really is just what this person decides to do.

yes pa has hard inspection laws. i should know i'm an inspection mechanic. so for time and money. i have sheet metal , a welder , body filler and everything to make it pretty again. as for cost very little , time is no big deal. yes i'll have a parts car if i need it. i built a 90 jeep wagoneer (xj) and only had about $2500 into it including the cost of the jeep. it had 6" lift 33" tires custom bumper 9500lbs winch and alot more stuff. redoing a project to put it on the road again - PRICELESS !!!

Edited by rtcaravan

the 95 legacy postal we just got rid of was in worst shape and twice the miles. rockers were rotted and the rear wheel well were gone. had to replace fuel lines too. the car was from ny at the begining of its life and was in bad shape. glad that one is gone. both gl's have great interior and the same color and need no work. only have to do external work.

GD

PA is not on the west coast. Soobs were least populqr in the rust belt, and too abundant in the PNW. If you were native to the rust belt, you would work with whqt you have, or do without. Eventially, the subarus that are left in the PNW will be too rare to just throw away. If subarus fell out of the sky in the rust belt, one could be more picky.

Don't assume that everthing always costs money. That isa where resourcefulness or ambition comes in.

If anyone native to the PNW had to work on cars in the rust belt, they would probably throw in the towel the first time they had to break out the PB blaster or the hack saw.

Why do you get so upset anytime someone wants to resurrect an ea82? Why be on a forum that is the only resource to ea82 owners, just to tell them they are wasting their time. Maybe post in the new gen forum, if it bothers you that much. Otherwise, it is becoming REDUNDANT to read every day.

REDUNDANT REDUNDANT REDUNDANT REDUNDANT REDUNDANT

Edited by MilesFox

THANK YOU MILESFOX !!!! i was on craigslist in central pa area and saw a just for $2000 wtf ! and a brat with no title for $800 people around here are crazy. its hard to find a good car cheap around here. i got lucky when i got the 91 legacy wagon for $500 but that needed a trans. would rather do body work than have to replace a heavy trans. but would do it if i had to again.

I also agree with MILESFOX, I live in the rust belt at it's worse (Vermont) And I bought a rusted out 82 wagon because I love ea81's and it's the only thing i could find paid $100 for it and now it looks like this

2-1.jpg?t=1294445734

It had no rockers or rear quarters or door bottoms I made them all myself. I say go for it I love this kind of thing! There's nothing like the satisfaction of being complemented on you car. and being like "yeah I built that!"

-SB

I'm not saying to abandon your EA82 desires - I'm just saying that a few phone calls in response to some craigslist adds and to some auto-shipping companies will yeild you a nice example for less than materials and labor to fix a PA lawn ornament.

If your time is worthless to you then I guess you can do what you want with it. But personally it would nag at me that under all the new paint, bondo, fiberglass, etc is a rusted out cancerous mess. It could never be a pristene example again no matter what was done. Most repairs like that last only a few years before being claimed by the rust once again.

I'm sorry that I'm a realist but the VAST majority of people that post question of this type have given no thought to the long hours of toil that would be required of a car like that. I point out the drawbacks while other's point out the rainbows and unicorns of the end result. It's just a different perspective. I find that people are too often IMPATIENT with their money and RASH with their decisions. Resulting in purchases that ultimately are a waste of time and resources. I see it ALL the time. That's what I'm trying to prevent with my warnings. My experience is that about 5% will listen.

GD

The rest of the 95% that 'don't listen' especially to GENERAL DISORDER, are most likely the ones who live in the rust belt, and know that cars rusting is a fact of life, and dont have the means, want, or desire to move to the PNW just for a rust free car.

If one were to bring a PNW car to the rust belt, guess what? IT WILL RUST (fact of life)

this should be a separate thread by now. "Wasting your time on rusty cars when you can get one in the PNW, or anywhere else that is not the rust belt(PNW, The South [the least populous areas of the USA], and EA82's are a waste of time), says Rick"

And if one's time is worthless to fix up a car, another's time is worthless to spew opinions on an internet forum ad infinitum. Post Whorring for lack of rust to repair?

If there were some known true facts in this world, they would be:

Death

Taxes

Cars rust

GD, you really haven't contributed to this post other than to state your opinion on what you deem as a waste of time, vs what dude can do with these 2 cars. Drive one of them, i believe, would be the desired result of the efforts involved.

Dead topic, i am done now. Whether or not i have 5 points by now. Don't take me personally as i am not intending to make anyone mad or start a flamewar:popcorn:

Edited by MilesFox

i guess chip foose is wasting all his time fixing old rusted cars and making them new too. damn he made a ton of money wasting time. some people love fixing cars weather it be a subaru gl to a vw jetta to a dodge aries. its the love of doing it. as far as rusting in a few years tou have to fix it right first. dont just rivet sheet metal to it and bondo it. of course it will rust back out in 2 years. if you do it right the first time it will last many years. its the love of the build gd. no one is telling you not to put toyota parts in a subaru just because they dont like toyotas. i would rather put a 4.0l jeep drivetrain and dana 44's in a subaru , but i dont have the money to do that. its just the automoblie love that we have. if we all liked the same things it would be a boring world. a JEEP GUY looks at it like this , if it brakes , BUILD IT BIGGER AND BETTER !!!! and yes i was thinking about the lsd swap too. that is the first thing i looked to see if it had and what gears.