Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slammed a curb... help me out guys

99 Outback Portland, OR area.

Ok, first, what it this thing called? Right rear wheel.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss152/daredevil1166/IMG-20110112-00056.jpg

Second, obviously I need one. I haven't seen an Outback in a junkyard around here in awhile. Anyone have one of these on a parts car or hanging around?

Or have you recently seen an Outback in a junkyard in the Portland metro area?

What other years/models would fit?

Thanks

Thanks. It would be #32 in that diagram.

Looks like they call it a "rear trailing link".

I couldn't find a diagram to my specific car, but that one tells me what it is.

Another diagram I found calls it a "lateral rod".

So what's the common name for it?

Edited by daredevil1166

Looks like item 26 to me:

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=5898

Part No.: 20255AA300

The part that is bent in your photo looks like a lateral link because its parallel with the drive shaft.

I may have been reading it wrong but when I checked Opposed Forces it said. "RR rear trailing link". That's what confused me.

Thanks, for clearing it up.

Now, anyone got one?

Nice tires. How does that thing ride with no rear sway bar? Ship at sea?

That's a lateral link.

Thanks. They are.

Rides well. It's lifted with strut top blocks, and that helped stiffen things up so there's not a huge difference with out the sway bar. Broke the front sway bar on dunes, so I took them both off(better articulation off road). They'll be going back in with easy disconnects.

Drill/dremel oval out the hole in the sub-frame where the link attaches. Your adjustment plate for the cam-head bolt is gone anyway.

Also did you check to see if the sub-frame had shifted any? Hits like that will usually make it move a little, and loosening the bolts that attach it to the chassis will allow it to just slip right back into place.

I believe they are the same in the outback and the forester. I have one. PM me with an offer and we can get you back on the road.

Hey cool, someone addressing what I asked for instead of what they think I need. :clap:

Thanks, but I think the shipping would be an issue. They want 12.99 at the local yards. If only they had any.

Don't get me wrong man - I would replace it if I had one or knew where to get one easily - hell I would give you one if I had one to give..... But in lieu of that I would do what I had to in order to get it back on the road in the meantime - cut out a section and reweld, shrink it with hot/cold, etc. There are ways and I would NOT be without my wheels for long.

Just trying to help.....

GD

They are just mild steel - if there was any question about integrity I would just shrink a sleeve over it and weld it in place if I couldn't find a replacement..... but mild steel is really forgiving and bending it and then returning it to straight shouldn't cause an issue with it. This isn't a sway bar that's heat treated.

GD