Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 impreza in Bellingham Wa. needs motor/mechanic

Hey everybody, I am in NH. and one of my best customers has a son who dropped the timing belt and apparently did valve damage in Bellingham Wa. ( a Sears auto center put a water pump and belt on it and it ran very poorly so they took the parts back and are charging labor only) the car is high miles 200k+ and a standard trans. Anyone out there know who or where he should see to get the car revived for a reasonable price? I am thinking that with the miles it has popping a decent used ej22 in it would be the best bet however I am sure they would listen to options. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Scott:headbang:

ok, no valve damage on a 96 impreza, 1.8L or 2.2L are both non-interference engines. the shop who did the work probably timed it wrong used the wrong timing marks, which caused it to run poorly. easy to do for first timers.

too bad all of the money went to waste.

hopefully someone will know a shop in bellingham, where is that anyway?

If he can get it down to Portland I can do whatever needs to be done (up to and including replacing the engine (likely about $1000 if truly needed) but as noted a 96 is not interference). I have a truck/trailer and also a friend in Olympia with an enclosed car hauler. I can have him up and running (worst case where he needs a replacement engine) in a week or less and at a very good price for quality work.

PM me if interested.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Hey everybody, I am in NH. and one of my best customers has a son who dropped the timing belt and apparently did valve damage in Bellingham Wa. ( a Sears auto center put a water pump and belt on it and it ran very poorly so they took the parts back and are charging labor only) the car is high miles 200k+ and a standard trans. Anyone out there know who or where he should see to get the car revived for a reasonable price? I am thinking that with the miles it has popping a decent used ej22 in it would be the best bet however I am sure they would listen to options. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Scott:headbang:

Im here ,if its a timing belt I could do it anywhere, if more then take it to rods Japenese auto Scott

Well, I spoke with the tech who put the timing belt on at the sears place, he said it made "bad noises", did not run at all and had no compression. He also said two idler/tensoner pulleys were bad and a bolt was torn out of the water pump. I think this car may be for sale soon if a fair priced remedy does not come up (he is searching for his title) anyone still interested in trying to repair it still? I can put you in touch with the owner or interested in buying it as well, PM for contact info, Thanks, Scott

Sure - as I said I can fix it without any trouble. Used EJ22 is about $500 and then some labor and maintenance parts to install.

I do EJ engine swaps all the time. It's nothing really.

There's always the possibility that the tech doesn't know what he's doing. Bent valves should be pretty obvious if you just remove a valve cover and take a look. Unless the engine has been swapped to a newer one - the EJ22 through '96 can't damage itself from just a timing belt breaking. Sounds like the lower cogged idler seized up and ripped out of the WP casting. Pretty typical of a failed idler and that's the one that always dies.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder