Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Start after Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

I have a 92 loyale wagon with ~180k miles. I replaced my intake manifold gaskets because one of them was leaking coolant and I did the thermostat and gasket while I was at it. I get everything put back together and and I went to start the car and it almost starts than nothing. I can crank the engine but no start. I have spark and I hear the fuel pump before I crank the engine. I also smell fuel when I remove the air intake from the throttle body so I am assuming there is fuel as well. Any suggestions on what to check next?

I would guess swithced fuel lines, or crossed plug wires. Did you remove the fuel lines? the return line connects to the regulator, since it is after the injector. This can be misleading if you did not know this.

Firing order is 1-3-2-4 counter-clockwise with #1 being the passenger front of the engine, and pointing to the master cylinder n the cap.

...some coolant went in the crankcase. Could that be causing problems?

I Believe Yes, it is... Cylinders got Coolant / Wet Sparkplugs.

I Had that issue when I Did the Weber Swap in my EA82 long time Ago...

Then I just cranked the engine with the Gas Pedal at one half, many Short times, until it Started Roughly... once it Revs and gets Warm, it went to Normal again in about ten Minutes...

...and a Huge Cloud of Smoke came from the Exhaust pipe.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Spelling

PROBLEM SOLVED :D

I have a weak battery so I got out the jumper cables and just started cranking away After about 5 min on and off cranking it fired up with a big white cloud out the tail pipe

Then I just cranked the engine with the Gas Pedal at one half, many Short times, until it Started Roughly... once it Revs and gets Warm, it went to Normal again in about ten Minutes...

...and a Huge Cloud of Smoke came from the Exhaust pipe.

On a side note I have a new mean sounding rumble like an exhaust leak when the engine is under strain. I used the carb cleaner to check for leaks around the new gaskets but nothing. That Metal ERG tube was difficult to reinstall could the noise be coming from there? IT sounds like its coming from the passenger side.

Why would you say that?! The engine doesn't need the alternator to start up and run.

I had a no start situation once and found that plug just hanging there. Plugged it in, and the car fired up. I really don't know, but I attributed it to causing week spark, and as a result, flooding the engine.

I had a no start situation once and found that plug just hanging there. Plugged it in, and the car fired up. I really don't know, but I attributed it to causing week spark, and as a result, flooding the engine.

The alternator doesn't do anything until after the engine is running, then it provides power to run the the electrical system. Now if the alternator isn't connected my car idles high because the computer "thinks" revving up the engine will somehow help...