Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBW rear brakes - question

I've let the pads go too far, and scored the rotor. Don't think I've ever replaced before. Is the rotor and the drum (for the emergency/parking brake) a single piece, or are they separate? And, in the past I've been happy with getting parts from 1stSubaruParts.com in Renton, WA, but their online catalog is suddenly quite limited. What gives?

Edited by J A Blazer
typo

same part. you can get them at autozone(or a store like this) There are also ceramic brakes available for the outback. make sure to check the slides and calipers any seizing(i see frozen slides all the time) also make sure the pads slide easily in the groove on the caliper bracket. If they dont i clean up the groove and if that doesn't work I file the areas on the pad where they make conntact( a lot of pads have rough casting that need smoothed out). Good luck

If you get Autozone brakes get their high end Duralast at the least. Their cheap stuff warps in no time.
With rear pads, I imagine that the chances of warping would be little or none. I could understand using high quality front brakes, but back brakes receive little wear.

I put Napa front rotors on my 191k SVX; they'll probably be on there until the car rusts out (and probably won't be warped). The originals lasted 190k.

I replaced the rotors and pads at all four corners on my 99 OBW. I bought the parts from Autozone. It was an ez job. Recommend you coat the slides with antisieze cream. I also apply the product to the lug studs. I upgraded to Autozone ceramic pads. I also took the extra time to bleed out/replace the brake fluid. What bled out was the color of ice tea.

napa's parts come from the same China that autozone and advanced come from. Unless you pay big $ for your rotors they all are cheap Chinese. with auto zone you can take them back and get new ones. The job is easy enough to do that replacing them if they warp is no big deal. Most of the warpage ive seen is from improper installation. The big one is the pads dragging in the slots. This causes a hot spot=warpage. Like i wrote earlier sand/file/grind the ears until they slide with no resistance.