Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Machine Work - How Much $$ ?

I know there are disclaimers about different prices in different cities and the quality of shops, but on AVERAGE what should someone expect to pay for a head rebuild on a 2.5l DOHC? How about just head resurfacing?

The shop I went to had a shop rate of $100/hr and quoted $500 for rebuilding the heads (I would assume any additional machine work on threads, etc. would be extra).

Wish I had been wearing a diaper when he sprung that on me!

the shop should be able to quote you a price for resurfaced heads, if they can't then you need to go somewhere else that does more head work. you could probably google it too. i'd guess $125 to resurface both heads.

call the local subaru dealer and ask the shop who they use, i've done that before. some dealers don't even resurface the DOHC heads, not that i recommend doing that though.

i would have paid about $35-$50 each in Maryland, one shop had a minimum one hour charge, the other did not. i pay $12.50 each now with no minimum shop charge, but that's in an economically depressed state.

Resurfacing is pretty cheap here - I have a guy that does 2 heads for $50 for me. Depending on mileage - a resurfacing might be all they need. But at comparatively low mileage (~150k) the 25D heads are usually worn pretty badly.

Cost for a full rebuild on the 25D heads is rediculous. $450 to $500 for a set. That's all new valves, seats, and guides (they usually need them), stem seals, and resetting the shim clearances on each.

Do yourself a favor and put EJ22E heads on it - compression increase and power gain. The SOHC heads can be rebuilt for half that cost or less.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder