Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 5speed D/R differences?

raging squirrel

Ok folks, I have searched and searched, so please no "search you (insert demeaning reference here)" comments. I found a good deal of info about this, but almost everything was performed in gen 2 cars. I found no buildups with any real details on the differences of putting the 5spd. D/R in the gen 1 vs. the gen 2.

So, the crux of the matter is, I need to know what to look out for. What additional items must I tend to when the time comes? I believe there is some sort of crossmember issue. I have made several custom tubular crossmembers for various swaps, so that is no biggie if I know what I am working with. Any experts?

You will need a custom length driveshaft.

You will very likely have to angle the entire drivetrain back slightly to clear the larger diameter of the transfer section of the 5MT D/R.

Obviously it will not mount to a top-starter EA71 - I assume you already have an EA81 or a fat-case EA71 with the side-starter bell-housing.

I would just throw it up in there and go from there. It will be custom for sure - but it's not that big of a deal. Mostly building the x-member so that the tranny is low enough in the back to not hit the tunnel. Probably have to do some linkage mods too. Nothing that you can't do with your welder I would imagine.

GD

The vehicle in question is a 1981 brat with the EA81 engine. I have heard that a custom shaft is only needed for the wagon, but if I must cross that hurdle, it's no biggie. I was aware of the possibility of trans tunnel mods, bellhousing clearance issues, and possibly shifter location issues. Nothing scary so far. I have studied the gear ratio charts and decided the 5 speed will be worthwhile since the difference in the gear splits will be handy for tackling our mountain passes or light towing. It looks like I need to find an EA82 donor car...