Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need Clutch help

92 Loyale 1.8 w/o turbo 5 spd SPFI FWD

I bought a Durlast clutch set from autozone and I'm having a few problems installing it.

First, the new pilot bearing won't turn at all by hand, even after I installed it and using the weight of the flywheel. Is this normal?

Second, the clutch release bearing needs to be pressed on/off of a housing. I thought it was suppose to come as one piece.

Third, there is a small needle bearing that I don't know where it goes, didn't see one come out during the uninstall.

Any advice on this install would be great. I cocked the rear main seal when I installed it (buggered it while fixing it), so I have a little while till the new one comes in. :D

Anyone know where to get the tapered o-ring between the p/s reservoiur and pump?

Thanks again for any help.

That sounds odd, maybe you got the wrong kit, or the parts got mixed up?

The pilot bearing should spin freely.

The throw out bearing should spin free as well and slide on the shaft that goes around the input shaft, you shouldn't have to press anything.

Thanks. I'll clarify about the throw out bearing. The one I received in the kit is just a bearing doesn't include the shaft that the retainers clip onto. If the bearing is suppose to pull off that shaft it's real stuck.

clutch kit Part # NU31019

Edited by 91Sub

You DO have to press off the old throw out for a FWD application. They use the old style (EA81 style) T/O with a cast holder that is not integral to the bearing.

Needle bearing.... something isn't right there. You should only have the pilot (which should turn freely - it's just a 6202 I beleive), and the T/O bearing.

GD

92 Loyale 1.8 w/o turbo 5 spd SPFI FWD

I bought a Durlast clutch set from autozone and I'm having a few problems installing it.

First, the new pilot bearing won't turn at all by hand, even after I installed it and using the weight of the flywheel. Is this normal?

Second, the clutch release bearing needs to be pressed on/off of a housing. I thought it was suppose to come as one piece.

Third, there is a small needle bearing that I don't know where it goes, didn't see one come out during the uninstall.

Any advice on this install would be great. I cocked the rear main seal when I installed it (buggered it while fixing it), so I have a little while till the new one comes in. :D

Anyone know where to get the tapered o-ring between the p/s reservoiur and pump?

Thanks again for any help.

hi,

the pilot bearing is supposed to turn it is a standard bearing and the inner race should turn smoothly, get another if it does not !

2. the release bearing is a press on separate bearing on 2wd and non turbo transmissions, also the clutch is smaller diameter (200mm ,,,225mm for 4x4 and turbo) the little housing that slides on the trans snout is just that, a piece to hold the bearing and you need to get the new one put onto it. usually they are not a hard press ,can do at home with care.

3. i think that bearing is not needed i have seen them in other kits but your application doesn't use it.

4. the o-ring is not tapered originally, it forms to that shape due to the taper of the pump hole, use a standard o-ring , i think there are two thickness available with the correct ID and OD, use the thicker one.

Be sure to get that rear main in properly , there have been several stories here about them coming out of the block , some aftermarket ones are a bit loose in the "fit " in the block.