Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I realize there are many threads about the EJ25 to EJ22 swap, and I have read every single word of every one of them, but it's not crystal clear to me as to what to do here.

I have two EJ22's from a 90 and 93 legacy. I need to swap one of these into my 97 EJ25 Outback. I pulled the 2.5 today and began looking at plugs and wires, and couldn't remember what to do from there. Remove intake from EJ25 and install on EJ22? I still have the 90 legacy if I need wiring or anything. What other wiring am I supposed to swap? I'd like to know exactly what to do so I can get something done tomorrow, I don't have internet at my garage so I can't reference my bible (usmb).

And here's the EJ25 uncovered:

post-26279-136027646023_thumb.jpg

intakes are not interchangeable. you install a complete motor with an appropriate wiring harness and plug it in. does it look like the EJ22 wiring harness is going to plug into your EJ25 vehicle?

if not then you need an OBDII EJ22 intake manifold or swap the EJ25 wiring onto the EJ22 intake manifold.

if one has EGR and the other doesn't that's going to complicate things as well, let us know which have EGR on them and if you care about check engine lights or not.

intakes are not interchangeable. you install a complete motor with an appropriate wiring harness and plug it in. does it look like the EJ22 wiring harness is going to plug into your EJ25 vehicle?

if not then you need an OBDII EJ22 intake manifold or swap the EJ25 wiring onto the EJ22 intake manifold.

if one has EGR and the other doesn't that's going to complicate things as well, let us know which have EGR on them and if you care about check engine lights or not.

The EJ22 wiring harness does not look like it will plug in. I would like to swap the EJ25 wiring onto the EJ22 intake manifold. Does this mean just a few plugs or is this the entire harness. Is there cutting and splicing with plugs or anything?

Why would you swap an OBD2 car to OBD1 just to run a different engine?

Just get an OBD2 (95 +) intake for the ej22.

I'm looking to do this the easiest way possible, and as long as I don't have to fork over lots of cash I will do it whatever way is the best and easiest. A 95+ intake is all I really need? How does the intake alone solve the entire wiring compatibility? It seems like there are a lot more plugs on the EJ25. Forgive me for not trying to figure this all out by myself, I really like using the minds of people that have done it before to save me lots of time:grin:

I'm looking to do this the easiest way possible, and as long as I don't have to fork over lots of cash I will do it whatever way is the best and easiest. A 95+ intake is all I really need? How does the intake alone solve the entire wiring compatibility? It seems like there are a lot more plugs on the EJ25. Forgive me for not trying to figure this all out by myself, I really like using the minds of people that have done it before to save me lots of time:grin:

The 90 and 93 ej22 are OBD1, your car is OBD2. It's a different computer system. Since most of the wiring for the engine is on the intake mani (injectors, throttle body, coil, etc), you need the manifold that matches the computer system/wiring in your car.

I really thought the ej25 manifold would bolt onto the ej22... but grossgary says it won't, so it won't.

Go to the JY, get the manifold. Get the gaskets you need. Bold it all together and it should work. Cheapest and easiest option.

The 90 and 93 ej22 are OBD1, your car is OBD2. It's a different computer system. Since most of the wiring for the engine is on the intake mani (injectors, throttle body, coil, etc), you need the manifold that matches the computer system/wiring in your car.

I really thought the ej25 manifold would bolt onto the ej22... but grossgary says it won't, so it won't.

Go to the JY, get the manifold. Get the gaskets you need. Bold it all together and it should work. Cheapest and easiest option.

The EJ22 harness to the engine plugs in behind the battery with 2 plugs I believe. The EJ25 harness seems to come from out of the firewall behind the motor, has 3 large plugs that then plug into the harness on the engine. I still don't see how the intake alone will change enough for everything to work. I am home now, not by the car and have no book with me just speaking from what I remember so far.

OBD-II EJ22 manifold will have a harness that will plug right into your 2.5 car's harness. You are not seeing that because you don't have one to look at. You need an EJ22 manifold from a 95 to 98 automatic. It will bolt up to the engine and plug into the car.

GD

Excellent. The search is on! Thanks!

Just take the wiring loom off of the EJ25 manifold and swap it onto the EJ22 manifold.

You will need to put the 2.5 throttle body onto the 2.2 intake (for the 2.5 TPS) ALL the other connectors (temp, IAC, Coil, etc..) will match right up to you're 2.2.

You'll need to install the 2.5 Cam and Crank sensors onto the 2.2

Also bolt the 2.5 EGR solenoid and Purge solenoid (if equipped) to the 2.2 intake and plug them in.

Done.

Just take the wiring loom off of the EJ25 manifold and swap it onto the EJ22 manifold.

You will need to put the 2.5 throttle body onto the 2.2 intake (for the 2.5 TPS) ALL the other connectors (temp, IAC, Coil, etc..) will match right up to you're 2.2.

You'll need to install the 2.5 Cam and Crank sensors onto the 2.2

Also bolt the 2.5 EGR solenoid and Purge solenoid (if equipped) to the 2.2 intake and plug them in.

Done.

Even better, you are the man!