Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some speed@rpm numbers

As you may have noticed from my trans swap thread, I'm without a speedometer cable for now. I can't replace it till this weekend, so I need to go to work all week with no speedo. Can someone tell me some things? Here's what I need...

RPM at 75MPH in 5th gear

RPM at 60MPH in 4th and 5th gear

RPM at 40MPH in 3rd gear

All this is in an N/A EA82 5 speed D/R on STOCK WHEELS AND TIRES. Thanks a bunch.

Originally posted by subiemech85

75 is too fast, due to legal rea$on$, but will post other speeds wed. am for you

Must live in one of those low speed zones, eh? Here the speed limit is 70; traffic flows at 75, and the fast lane does 80.

what up trog? hey man in the rx in 5th gear, 55 is at 2,750rpm 60mph in 5th is 3,000 65mph in 5th is about 3,250 if your doin 3,500 rpm in fifth gear your doin about 73 mph and doing about 80mph in 5th is at about 4,000rpm. hope these figures help, let us know when you want to do the next soob project or just hang out. l8ter

well if you hadda ea81 hatch i'd give ya my numbers.. but i can't help with the hole ea82/5-speed thing.. haven't driven my RX in 4 months so i forgot what it was like to have a turbo and a 5-speed at this point

although my 4-speed dr hatch does 83mph at 4000 rpm's muuahaha.. ohh yeah i managed to wrap the speedo around to the "H" where it says MPH at the bottom of the speedo.. guess thats what, like 95 or 100 mph? it was like 5k on the tach tho.. didn't like that.. but i know i can go that fast in short bursts if i need to.. lol

i noticed that speed in 3rd gear is the same as rpm, 30 mph=3000 rpm in 3rd

3000 rpm in 4th is about 50, 3500 rpm in 5th is around 65-70 mph

you will generally have an idea of how fast youre going if you have been driving enough.

if in doubt, keep pace with traffic

hey, i found a speedo cable that looks to be ea82 5spd, let me know if you will need it

• 1 year later...

My speedo just gave out this weekend. 87 GL Wagon 4wd 5spd. I know 55mph is around 2700 rpm in 5th gear. I'm not so worried about highway speeds but all the little speed trap towns I need to drive through until I get it fixed.

Can anyone take a drive and give me some rpms and gears for say:

25 mph

35 mph

45 mph.

Thanks in advance fellow subies.