Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to Remove Heater Cable from Heater Box?

Hi all,

I'm going to replace my bulbs in the climate control panel. While I was able to get the cable off the CC panel when I was inspecting it a few days ago, I don't want to risk breaking anything up there. I read that it's easier to take off the cable at the heater box by the passenger left foot.

I see where the cable connects to, but for the life of me, cannot figure out how to get it off the white shaft.

Can anyone help me out with some directions?

Thanks!

JB

usually find it easiest to leave the cables attached to the control panel, and disconnect it under where it goes to the blend doors under the dash.

the black cables are pretty easy to follow, then just reattach the same way when done. Remember how the cables are routed.

I forget as well, but I too recommend disconnecting at the pass floor.

I'd get the car up to where you can see what you're doing (like ramps on pass side).

I believe there is simply a clip to release the cable.

If you search enough there may be a pic here.

But you definately wanna take that route rather than disconnecting at the controls.

If you break your controls drop me a PM I should have a few. I'm starting to put more stuff on Ebay to get rid of it.

Fantastic! OK, that is a little more clearer.

Yeah, I'm doing the passenger floor disconnect. I'm not going to play with the control panel anymore.

I thought I read to tie some wire or something to the cable to help route it back into position, so I'll definitely do that.

Thanks for the links and advice!

JB

For what it's worth, I just find it easier to disconnect it at the top... That way I don't have to deal with the cable attached when I'm working with the controls. And it's a pain in the neck (literally) to bend my head down under the foot well and look for the other end.

Just pull out the two clips and it's disconnected. A good pair of needle nose vicegrips make it a piece of cake.

the easiest way to disconnect at the top is to leave the cable attached to the arm and remove the arm from the control unit. on the rump roast end there is a pivot point. spread the clips and the arm will come out. leave the arm and the cable in the dash and remove the unit. (the knob on the front of the arm will pop off but that's no biggie.)

removing the arm is way easier than the small c-clip at the top or the cable attachment at the bottom. plus, you don't run the risk of re-installing the cable wrong and not getting full motion out of the heat control arm.

off topic side story.

my son is driving my 95 lego L i gave it to him with 165k miles after i swapped in a used trans. i bought it used and drove it for 90k miles and never serviced the trans. yeah, i was dumb. anyway, he came home from school needing brakes. so brakes we did. but in the process i made him clean out the inside of his car. there were several layers of trash in his car. and guess what we found. the knob for the heat control. he had lost it 6 months earlier. i didn't even bother to ask how it got lost. i've been driving subarus since 1994 and i've never lost a control knob.

kids today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by johnceggleston

the easiest way to disconnect at the top is to leave the cable attaed to the arm and remove the arm from the control unit. on the rump roast end there is a pivot point. spread the clips and the arm will come out. (the knob on the front of the arm will pop off but that's no biggie.)

removing the arm is way easier than the small c-clip at the top or the cable attach at the bottom. plus, you don't run the risk of re-installing the cable wrong and not getting full motion out of the heat control arm.

Even if you remove the arm you still have to remove the other clip that holds the cable casing to the unit. Which is a bigger pita than the one that holds the cable to the arm.

Hi everyone!

Thanks very much for the help.

For me with my big hands, it was easier, believe it or not, to remove the cable from the heater box at the passenger left foot.

I've attached a few pics with some instructions on how I did it if it will help someone.

Thanks to this site, I have an illuminated climate control panel now. :)

Thanks!

JB

post-37272-136027646783_thumb.jpg

post-37272-136027646788_thumb.jpg