Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gasket material?

hi, 84 parts book shows # 7850 25000 ( exc.elc-mtr ) as the part number , or 7850 25020 (w.elc-mtr ) as the other part number, i dont know what the elc-mtr is about, but the first one shows to fit all vehicles , both gl and dl , and the last one to fit only 4 dr ,wag ,and coupe , designated gl, maybe it's for the digital dash sending units.

• 13 years later...

Necro bump.

Couldn't find any additional info on this.

Long story short, recently acquired an 82 GL wagon, and this sending unit flange is leaking.

Couldn't find part 7850 25000 or 25020 anywhere so I figured I'd have to make my own.

What do you guys think, maybe get some NBR rubber sheet and cut it out ?

Please post back with your choice of material. I am in the same situation with my 79. 

I managed to find some rubber bladder type of material and I think I just need to snug my nuts down a bit better. But they are so delicate I sure don’t want to bust one of those tiny studs.

Maybe that doesn’t read so well but hey laugh a little. 

Silicone is a no-go for gasoline applications. The best material I have found is Nitrile rubber sheets (aka Buna-N, NBR, etc.) and it is approved for gasoline and many other oils and fuels.  I laser cut it to make fuel pump diaphragms for mechanical fuel pumps in my older classic cars. You can get plain sheets or Nylon cloth infused sheets if you need extra strength. I've bought from ebay, McMaster-Carr, Amazon and Grainger in the past. Plain Nitrile should be fine for your fuel tank sender gasket. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, moosens said:

I don’t have a laser cutter. But one way or another I’ll make it happen. 

Sure. I'm cutting dozens of my parts at a time in several variations but you can make them by hand. I often use sharpened brass hobby tubing if a hole punch set is not around.