Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i dont know what this could be i bought a used wrx 2 weeks ago i have 650 miles of ownership and it uses 1 quart per 200-220 miles and i dont abuse it at all 2,500 - 4,500 shifts premium gas. i pulled the TMIC to see if im getting oil out the turbo but there was just a very light film in the TMIC. exhaust isnt spitting raw oil out and it runs and idles smooth with no missing im at a loss. i changed the oil when i got it for penzoil 10w30 just the basic oil could that be a issue? btw it has 111347 miles on it :-\

I don't know if you know, but it is typically much better to run a synthetic motor oil in turbocharged Subarus. Running conventional is OK, but even then, it would be much better to be on the safe side and run synthetic.

I know this is just a bunch of Subaru-mumbo-jumbo, but take note of the oil change interval, it's at about 3,700 miles.

http://www.drive.subaru.com/sum08/sum08_turbo.htm

When the OP posted this I had a response about the care and abuse the first 100k but didn't post it.

A WRX is NOT a car to buy used unless adult owned and then it's a crap shoot.

Same as some of my generations favorite cars of the time. They just get too "beat", especially by the young folks - who are the exact folks who seek them new and used.

You wanna buy a good used car, buy an "average" car. High performance cars have usually seen better days. Excellent mileage tomato can cars are often owned by cheap folks who include in their cheapness lack of maintenance. From cheapest wiper blades, to cheapest filters (if they know what a filter is) to longest oil change intervals, you get the idea.

A Legacy or Impreza comes to mind actually....

If it isn't leaking it, it's burning it. The oil is going out the tailpipe. If you see blue smoke when you start it, it's for sure burning it. I bet if someone followed you they'd say it smells like a 2-stroke when you accelerate.

The turbo can leak oil into the exhaust or the intake. A failed PCV valve or clogged hoses can force oil into the intake. A cracked piston or worn rings will let it leak into the combustion chambers. Worn valve seals will let it leak into the intake/exhaust. There's lots of ways that oil gets burned, and most are expensive to fix.

went to 15w40 rotella t changed spark plugs which looked great no buildup clean burn. im at a loss to where the oil is going
With as much oil as you are using, as many including myself have said previously, it most certainly is either the rings or the turbo. It's going to be expensive. There's no question about it. It's not leaking, it's not the PCV. It's either the turbo or rings. Time to start saving money because it's going to be at least a grand if it's rings and close to it if it's the turbo (although, no oil in the IC makes it seem like that may not be the case).

If it isn't leaking it, it's burning it. The oil is going out the tailpipe. If you see blue smoke when you start it, it's for sure burning it. I bet if someone followed you they'd say it smells like a 2-stroke when you accelerate.

The turbo can leak oil into the exhaust or the intake. A failed PCV valve or clogged hoses can force oil into the intake. A cracked piston or worn rings will let it leak into the combustion chambers. Worn valve seals will let it leak into the intake/exhaust. There's lots of ways that oil gets burned, and most are expensive to fix.

i actually had a friend follow me and he saw no smoke and smelt nothing unusual from the car

Oil's going somewhere. If it ain't leaking it's burning. A compression test will tell you if the rings are failing. A leakdown test will tell you how bad.

Turbo's don't generally leak into the intake when they go bad. They puke oil straight into the exhaust system and will smoke like a steam train. Small puffs here and there when coming off throttle are your first signs.

i actually had a friend follow me and he saw no smoke and smelt nothing unusual from the car

Obviously fairies are stealing your oil while you sleep then. Don't drown in de-Nile, the engine is beat. Run Rotella 5w40 and carry a spare quart all the time. Check and fill with every gas tankfull.

Just got done swapping a ej257 block into an 02 wrx that had some serious oil consumption issues. The rings were so spanked that it would slowly lurch down a hill if you parked it in first with the engine hot. The E-brake doesn't work either, so you had to be careful where you left it. Still had good power right up until the #2 and #3 rod bearings spun. Everything was so worn in that engine that it couldn't keep the oil pressure up anymore. The light would flicker at idle when warm.