Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T intake onto the EA82 SPFI ??

Is there any advantage. to installing the larger air sensor and intake from a 85 turbo, onto the 88 SPFI EA82? I was thinking it might be close to a perfomance mod. But then I've read here where weight reductions all you can really do with the 88 GL wagon type subaru, other than a new motor. Also, is there a special bracket for the alternator you need after you remove the AC pump? Do you just buy another belt? (probably just ansewered my own question). Is there any advantage to turning the SPFI into a MPFI with the 85 turbo heads. Can you modify the turbo intake into a non-turbo intake.

Myself I tend to think my grandpa was right when he told me "if it works don't fix it" But in Harley school they taught us, the more air the better. Was just wondering if any of that applied to the stock 1.8L. I bought the 85 turbo ($150.) thinking I'd put it into my sons 88 GL he just got. But since then I've learned that the 85 EA82T was'nt one of subarus better products. I've decided to keep the 88 SPFI EA82 where its at. It just seems a shame that I have a 85 EA82T/GL-10 with 180k on it. And I don't get to use it some how. Any suggestion? I live in oregon if anyones interested in parts.

For anyone reading.thank you for your time, and have a nice day.

the heads and intkes are different 1 port vs 2.

whay you can do is swap the entire turbo engine and harness into the gl, along with the engine crossmember and all the pipes.

what can be better, is you swap the turbo heads and intake onto the gl short block. this gives you mpfi, and you can ditch the turbo, because you will have a block with more compression. you still have to swap the ecu and harness, but you do not need the engine crossmember.

the easiest thing to do is take the gl shortblock, put the mpfi heads onto it, and fix up the gl-10 and makit NA mpfi.

Also, is there a special bracket for the alternator you need after you remove the AC pump? Do you just buy another belt? (probably just ansewered my own question).

You need an alternator bracket from a carbed EA82. It's what I used when I ditched the A/C. It bolts right on, and moves the alternator to where the A/C pump was. You only use one belt with this setup. I could take pics of mine if you like. I'm not sure if the bracket from an EA81 would fit - I doubt it. Or you might try keeping the A/C pump bracket without the pump in it. I sort of looked into that and it looks difficult. Easiest way is to get the bracket from an EA82 that did not have A/C.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think its really great that there are places out there like USMB. But mostly its the people that make it so cool.

Anyone know for sure if there is any seat of the pants advantage to running the MPFI, as opposed to the SPFI. Or as Subaru calls it, a TBI.

• 11 months later...

MPFI Will give you better power (Like maybe 7-10 Horse) and maybe better gas mileage, it disperses the fuel in a more efficient way.

On SPFI the fuel enters at the throttle plate, and has to go all the way through the intake runners, so when the engine is cold and even warm, some fuel will stick the the walls. (that is why performance engines often have port/polished intakes, less to stick to). With MPFI you are injecting the fuel directly before the chamber and you get more bang for your buck.

Swapping turbo MPFI heads will not help you. Turbo Head compression ratio was 7.7:1, and the stock SPFI was 8.7:1. Basically when you have forced induction you dont need a high compression ratio, because the turbo more tan makes up for it. But you could probably look for MPFI heads off of an old 80's Subaru XT which was an EA82 engine non turbo with a MPFI system. You will not lose the compression ratio that you will with turbo heads.

MPFI Will give you better power (Like maybe 7-10 Horse) and maybe better gas mileage, it disperses the fuel in a more efficient way.

This is less than true. The MPFI was 5 HP more and it's not just the intake and fuel system - it's the heads and cam also.

Swapping turbo MPFI heads will not help you. Turbo Head compression ratio was 7.7:1, and the stock SPFI was 8.7:1. Basically when you have forced induction you dont need a high compression ratio, because the turbo more tan makes up for it. But you could probably look for MPFI heads off of an old 80's Subaru XT which was an EA82 engine non turbo with a MPFI system. You will not lose the compression ratio that you will with turbo heads.

COMPLETELY wrong. The turbo and MPFI heads are identical castings. The compression ratio difference is due to the pistons not the heads. The turbo pistons are in fact 7.7:1 but the SPFI and MPFI/NA pistons are 9.5:1 and the carb pistons are 9.0:1. EA81 N/A pistsons are 8.7:1

GD

You need an alternator bracket from a carbed EA82. It's what I used when I ditched the A/C. It bolts right on, and moves the alternator to where the A/C pump was. You only use one belt with this setup. I could take pics of mine if you like. I'm not sure if the bracket from an EA81 would fit - I doubt it. Or you might try keeping the A/C pump bracket without the pump in it. I sort of looked into that and it looks difficult. Easiest way is to get the bracket from an EA82 that did not have A/C.

Is it okay to only run 1 belt? I did the latter yesterday (took compressor out but put all the brackets back) and put on one belt, but I didn't like the idea of it. Is this a confirmed safe thing? lol

The main advantage to the SPFI is it's simplicity and reliability. All the SPFI's I have ever dealt with have run, no matter how long or where they were abandoned for. The MPFI's not so much. My 86 Turbo runs when it wants to. You won't see much of a power or mpg gain for the work invested to go just MPFI. You will see a power gain if you do the whole turbo swap, but the reliability drops.

The work of doing a swap would be better invested in putting in a later EJ series engine. The base 1.8l in a early 90's impreza made the same power as your 86 turbo 1.8, just without the turbo. 110hp vs 111 hp. That's how much better the 16 valve engines are over the 8 valve.