Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 air suspension

Just picked up an 88 xt6, drivetrain is solid, but

the air springs wont pump up. If I jumper the compressor, it works.

If I jumper the solenoid it opens. I assume it is a control sequence issue with the computer. Anyone know how to reset, or have any further diagnostics?

Thanks

Jump the front solenoids and the compressor and note if the front struts inflate. If they don't, either both have cracks or the compressor is too weak to inflate.

The "computer" is located between the driver's door and seat. under the carpet Have to pull the seat and that trim piece above the rocker panel to gain access.

Usually when something fails in the system, a warning light in the dash flashes.

Sometimes if you jack the wheels off the ground this will "kick start" the system.

what happens when you put the keys in and turn it on to drive the car?

does the compressor turn on?

does the HEIGHT light flash on the dash?

or does it do nothing?

indeed jack the car off the ground like john said, sometimes that gets things going, and the compressor coming on doesn't mean it's making pressure.

the most common failure i've seen is the 5 air line fittings on the drier - the part that's connected to the compressor that the 5 air lines snap into. the base of those fittings leak - they're usually cracked if they're leaking. when they leak, no air makes it to the struts.

I just parted off an 89xt6, originally with air struts, but converted to coilovers. I have a bunch of air strut related parts: o-rings, plastic lines, solenoids, compressor and tank. if you need spare parts let me know. i can bundle up all the extra lines and o-rings at least. let me know before i toss them

the compressor and distribution is located behind the driver side fender

catchthisfox @ gmail

If one wheel is at a different height than the rest, then the computer will not engage the leveling. Kind of a catch-22. What I do is jack up the body near the low wheel until the air compressor kicks on. Or, if you deflate all the bags then they will all be at the same height and the compressor pump up and level it out.

This is assuming your only problem is a low bag.

I recently bought some air suspension parts and the dealer still had stock! I was impressed.

thanks for all the input. Jacking it up did kick-start the process.

Only to reveal the front bags are leaking. Looks like I am going to

convert to coil spring. I hear the 95 and later impreza front struts are

a good fit. I have access to a 96 legacy but I am told they are too long.

I live in Alaska and could benefit from a little added ground clearance. Will

they fit? I was hoping the longer legacy struts would help level it out ( I don't

really care for the door stop look)

so like milesfox, I have plenty of air suspension components to get rid of.

The rear bags are good, compressor, etc. I'll give it away, you pay shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking into putting an air tank in the gap between the engine and the firewall (passenger side) in my Loyale. I was reading up on how to go about using the A/C compressor, but I like this idea better if it would work. I knew Subaru had air shocks, but for some reason never thought about the requisite compressor to go along with it--I just imagined you would drive to the gas station before going off-road. Silly me :P.

Any idea how many PSI it puts out, and what the flow rate is? I don't mind doing the minor work involved in hooking everything up, would just need the compressor if it would work for this (I assume it will pump at least 50psi if it is lifting the car...).

Anyway, if it is an option I would happily pay shipping and a bit!

I've been looking into putting an air tank in the gap between the engine and the firewall (passenger side) in my Loyale. I was reading up on how to go about using the A/C compressor, but I like this idea better if it would work. I knew Subaru had air shocks, but for some reason never thought about the requisite compressor to go along with it--I just imagined you would drive to the gas station before going off-road. Silly me :P.

Any idea how many PSI it puts out, and what the flow rate is? I don't mind doing the minor work involved in hooking everything up, would just need the compressor if it would work for this (I assume it will pump at least 50psi if it is lifting the car...).

Anyway, if it is an option I would happily pay shipping and a bit!

Apparently it won't work using the air suspension compressor as these are high pressure low volume comprssors.

The AC compressor is the way to go, seen many setups that work well.

Cheers

Bennie

Apparently it won't work using the air suspension compressor as these are high pressure low volume comprssors.

The AC compressor is the way to go, seen many setups that work well.

Cheers

Bennie

That is too bad, I was getting all excited for this. I'll give the a/c compressor a shot, though it will be a while before I can put the time and money into something like that (never having done that particular conversion before).

i've disassembled them before, they are very basic, unoiled units with cheezball heads/piston. the suspension computer shuts them down after a few minutes of running to prevent overheating and while they can actualy last a long time if not used much, frequent use kills them. i wouldn't consider them a last resort for a custom project.

• 1 year later...
thanks for all the input. Jacking it up did kick-start the process.

Only to reveal the front bags are leaking. Looks like I am going to

convert to coil spring. I hear the 95 and later impreza front struts are

a good fit. I have access to a 96 legacy but I am told they are too long.

I live in Alaska and could benefit from a little added ground clearance. Will

they fit? I was hoping the longer legacy struts would help level it out ( I don't

really care for the door stop look)

so like milesfox, I have plenty of air suspension components to get rid of.

The rear bags are good, compressor, etc. I'll give it away, you pay shipping.

This was a year ago, but if you still have the rear bags (air struts) I will take them. Thank you.