Ultimate Subaru Message Board

if i wanted to. could i put a 2.5L in ? if so what better year of EJ25 ?

i know all the issues with the 2.5L and know theirs a better ones out there.

just don't know what year/model of subaru its in.

please let me know guys.

Nice car, should clean up, and with a little bondo and paint should look quite good. Reminds me of the 91 I had.

Yes, phase 1, 2.5 motors, years 96 thru 99 will plug and play. Some minor issues with exhaust down pipe, and A/C compressor bracket that I have read about, but they can be easily over come.

Phase 2, 2.5 motors will not work.

Nice car. It's the twin to my wagon, but much prettier.

Why are you so eager to get out of the 2.2? I've got an extra 50k on my drive train and haven't had power issues. Even climbing mountain passes with a full car (people and luggage) only needed a down shift to maintain speed.

if i wanted to. could i put a 2.5L in ? if so what better year of EJ25 ?

i know all the issues with the 2.5L and know theirs a better ones out there.

just don't know what year/model of subaru its in.

please let me know guys.

Sounds like you want the powaaaaa

Well, as you already know, if you do get the EJ25 (or with input from above, the dreaded EJ25D), just make sure you get the headgaskets updated.

And speaking of Outback struts, might as well get the EJ25D and struts from an Outback in a wrecking yard.

thanks guys i really enjoy the legacy, the inside was horrible sticky console, stains galore, had bad odor, very dirty. i felt bad for this legacy once i got in it, it was just sad how horrible it was treated inside.

i have cleaned it up, put new tires on and XT6 Rims

in these pictures it is washed, waxed and wheels changed.

HPIM8168.jpg

rhae.jpg

gf.jpg

HPIM8166.jpg

here is the worst parts of the legacy.

HPIM8169.jpg

HPIM8170.jpg

i'm not eager to get rid of the 2.2L, it runs great and great on gas

just want more power.

i was only curios about an EJ25 being put in an older legacy.

thanks guys i really enjoy the legacy, the inside was horrible sticky console, stains galore, had bad odor, very dirty. i felt bad for this legacy once i got in it, it was just sad how horrible it was treated inside.

i have cleaned it up, put new tires on and XT6 Rims

in these pictures it is washed, waxed and wheels changed.

HPIM8168.jpg

rhae.jpg

gf.jpg

HPIM8166.jpg

here is the worst parts of the legacy.

HPIM8169.jpg

HPIM8170.jpg

i'm not eager to get rid of the 2.2L, it runs great and great on gas

just want more power.

i was only curios about an EJ25 being put in an older legacy.

Given your circumstances, I would stick with the 2.2 motor. I have owned both, and the 30 hp advantage from the 2.5 motor is not much. The extra 30 hp is nothing to get excited about. IMO, the 2.2 with greater engine reliability is the way to go.

i wont change it. like i said i was only curious about it.

i can get more HP out of the 2.2L in other ways

this 2.2L is quiet, runs great, and doesn't use much oil

178.663 Miles on it.

More HP:

Air Cone K&N

Ram Air

Lightweight Crank Pulley (not under drive pulley)

is there any other mods to gain HP ?

let me know thanks

Nice Ride! I envy that yours is a five speed. I think I'm going to swap mine this summer when I'm driving my old gen stuff. Anyway for a little added power in mine I had a cat back exhaust made at a local muffler shop, and I drilled two fairly large holes in the bottom of my air box for a little more flow :grin: the two actually made a surprising amount of difference. I also have the outback struts in mine, and love that conversion!

i wont change it. like i said i was only curious about it.

i can get more HP out of the 2.2L in other ways

this 2.2L is quiet, runs great, and doesn't use much oil

178.663 Miles on it.

More HP:

Air Cone K&N

Ram Air

Lightweight Crank Pulley (not under drive pulley)

is there any other mods to gain HP ?

let me know thanks

Honestly you are not going to get a real noticeable bump in power from this stuff . By all means do it if you want, might get better throttle response, but don't expect anywhere near 30hp.

Nice Ride! I envy that yours is a five speed. I think I'm going to swap mine this summer when I'm driving my old gen stuff. Anyway for a little added power in mine I had a cat back exhaust made at a local muffler shop, and I drilled two fairly large holes in the bottom of my air box for a little more flow :grin: the two actually made a surprising amount of difference. I also have the outback struts in mine, and love that conversion!

if it was an automatic, i would have passed on it, knowing the issues i had with my gray auto legacy.

i plan on changing the air box to cone again like i did the last legacy.

i to love the Outback Strut Lift, i don't have to worry about scraping the front in steep Driveways.

i want 12" clearance but will settle for 11" i did however get 10 1/2" on the previous Legacy, oh man that was SweeeeT !

Yes, phase 1, 2.5 motors, years 96 thru 99 will plug and play.

No, actually. There aren't any OBD1 EJ25s (at least USDM), therefor there isn't any plug-and-play ej25 for his car.

What you can do though is swap your heads onto an ej25 block, that will raise the compression a bit and give you more power than a stock 2.5.

Some minor issues with exhaust down pipe, and A/C compressor bracket that I have read about, but they can be easily over come.

Exhaust will be fine, you have the dual port header on your car anyway. Just swap the AC bracket that fits the engine, and you'll be fine

Yes, 2.2 heads on 2.5 block gains power and compression. It's loosely referred to as the "frankenmotor". There's a lot on here and nasioc about it.

I'm looking for a certain thread...

now that i know about it, i have done some search.

i can imagine it will be more reliable than stock 25d.

found that the user "A DOG " has done it.

I'm very intrigued by this creation, could i simply buy a good 2.5L and slap on my 2.2L heads or is the rebuild required ?

i see it requires the Gaskets of the 25d.

i couldnt find a # for the HP the frankenmotor puts out. any one know ?

I don't know a number, besides more HP than stock. ha.

I wouldn't say it's more reliable than a stock 25d though. The big issues with those (other than head gaskets) is the bottom end. And overheating because of head gaskets doesn't help the bottom end being weak.

But no, you do not need to do a full rebuild on heads or the block.

I'm going to rebuild a 25d block I have, then put performance cams in. It would be cool to dyno it some day..

I don't know a number, besides more HP than stock. ha.

I wouldn't say it's more reliable than a stock 25d though. The big issues with those (other than head gaskets) is the bottom end. And overheating because of head gaskets doesn't help the bottom end being weak.

But no, you do not need to do a full rebuild on heads or the block.

I'm going to rebuild a 25d block I have, then put performance cams in. It would be cool to dyno it some day..

ok, good to know.

so is it really worth the effort ? i mean do all that work then engines done after a few rounds.

yes if you do a dyno show us your results, i'm very interested in seeing the result.

Read the threads about the engine, and judge if it's worth it to you.

Everyone will have a different idea of what's worth it based on reliability, power, budget... etc.

I will say that your 2.2 is more reliable than any 25 swap.

Read the threads about the engine, and judge if it's worth it to you.

Everyone will have a different idea of what's worth it based on reliability, power, budget... etc.

I will say that your 2.2 is more reliable than any 25 swap.

enough said, i think I'll stay with the stock 2.2L and do little mods.

greatly appreciate the Info.

-

also my legacy needs a clutch and i thought about getting this for my Legacy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RACING-STAGE-2-STREET-CLUTCH-KIT-CHROMOLY-FLYWHEEL-/400181888268?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item5d2cb3050c

is it compatible with my 2.2 L ?

the compatibility sais its not, but aren't all flywheels the same ?

Edit:

Legacy's first MOD

HPIM8199.jpg

Edited by SubaruJawn

A "stage 2 clutch upgrade" sounds like a bit of overkill for the EJ22. If you really want to do a clutch upgrade, maybe you should go with an Exedy stage 1 clutch instead (although I'm not sure if you can get a stage 1 from Exedy for a naturally-aspirated EJ22, but it seems you can for the turbo EJ22)

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/15802

I don't know if the application guide is thoroughly correct though in listing only the turbocharged Legacy.

Edited by AWDfreak

A "stage 2 clutch upgrade" sounds like a bit of overkill for the EJ22. If you really want to do a clutch upgrade, maybe you should go with an Exedy stage 1 clutch instead (although I'm not sure if you can get a stage 1 from Exedy for a naturally-aspirated EJ22, but it seems you can for the turbo EJ22)

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/15802

I don't know if the application guide is thoroughly correct though in listing only the turbocharged Legacy.

i thought it was, but its cheaper than the Stage 1 clutch kit by $9.00

i really want to upgrade yes, since my clutch need replaced anyway, and want a light weight flywheel.

i thought flywheels are the same.

Hows this one ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RACING-STAGE-1-STREET-CLUTCH-KIT-CHROMOLY-FLYWHEEL-/150503247856?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru|Model%3ALegacy&hash=item230ab14ff0

Edited by SubaruJawn
WRONG LINK CORRECTION

You can always trust Exedy for a Subaru. According to what I've read on here, they do make some of the clutch kits for Subaru. Also, they are the official clutch provider of SRT USA.

Don't know about the flywheel though.

You can always trust Exedy for a Subaru. According to what I've read on here, they do make some of the clutch kits for Subaru. Also, they are the official clutch provider of SRT USA.

Don't know about the flywheel though.

I'd like to get both a stage 1 clutch and lightweight flywheel.

together from same company would be great.

Frankenmotor #'s are estimated at 180hp and 200ft lbs of torque.

I've read that pretty much all early EJ clutch stuff is the same.

So if you get a turbo clutch kit, it should have the same bolt holes as an NA kit.

I haven't experienced it myself, but I have read a few threads that warned

against getting a lighter weight flywheel, as it would reduce regular driveability

because of the loss of rotational mass.

You lose rotating mass and it makes it harder to start the car from a stop as

your engine has to work harder because it doesn't have all the inertia pushing it.

Twitch

Frankenmotor #'s are estimated at 180hp and 200ft lbs of torque.

I've read that pretty much all early EJ clutch stuff is the same.

So if you get a turbo clutch kit, it should have the same bolt holes as an NA kit.

I haven't experienced it myself, but I have read a few threads that warned

against getting a lighter weight flywheel, as it would reduce regular driveability

because of the loss of rotational mass.

You lose rotating mass and it makes it harder to start the car from a stop as

your engine has to work harder because it doesn't have all the inertia pushing it.

Twitch

oh snap, i never gave that a thought.

i thought it would save fuel and gain HP by running less weight. the ones i found are 8lbs lighter so still have 12lbs of stock weight. :-\

- oh and was thinking of doing

doing the lightweight flywheel -8lbs, and light weight crank pulley -4lbs total reduced weight of 12lbs.

Edited by SubaruJawn