Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru has a wide variety of brake options and it's easy to get the wrong pads. all 98-02 foresters are the same so that's why those are easy. legacy's usually have various flavors where upper models have different brakes than lower models - like GT's and LSi's had dual piston fronts while lower models had single piston smaller calipers....and some legacys had rear drums, upper models did not....etc. impreza and particuarly legacy models it's best to verify.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85014

according to that chart you should have 274mm rotors, but i think i've seen inconsistencies in that chart before, but it's generally very helpful.

it has rear disc, legacy L A/T wagon , 276 mm ok,
right, all 2000 legacy's have rear discs, i was just using 90's era legacy's that as an example of how varying subaru disc brakes can be.

another good subaru specific resource shows all legacy's in 2001 having the 10.7" front rotors (one of the first or few years legacy's all had the same front rotors):

http://www.cars101.com/legacy2001.html

There are two sizes of rotors and two styles of pads that ive seen on the 2000-2004 outbacks. Most 2000 Outbacks have 34271 rotors and dg721 (autozone part numbers) starting in 2003 the OB got bigger front rotors and pads with smaller "ears" as long as you have the correct caliper bracket you can switch sizes....the calipers are the same. Just did it.

ok, going to do the rears, next week, yes i know all at one time, ran out of time, 3 oil changes, 1 other brake job, now are the rears different sizes also ?

the link i posted in the first reply is a good resource and tells you what size 2000 rear legacy rotors should be.

go to advanced auto parts (or your store or choice) online and see what it gives you.

decided to drive 2000 legacy, new front brakes, it seems like the front brakes get to hot , touched the rotors both sides and almost burnt my finger , thinking my calipers are bad or sticking , yes i greased the pins, and pistons went in fine, just how warm should the rotors get ?

Edited by 86subaru

got different calipers today, now no brakes, gave up , pedal all the to the floor, bleed all 4 , as soon as i move the car pedal goes to the floor, new master cyclinder , new pads/ rotors, new calipers, no brake light on , the reason for new calipers was brakes heated up badly ,could it be the brake booster, ? will a brake booster from a 97 outback work, ? how hard is it to change, ?

Edited by 86subaru