Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV replacement messed up alignment?

Had my passenger side front CV axle replaced today. Now the steering wheel shakes at all speeds, and I have to push the brake pedal almost to the floor to stop the vehicle.

Did the mechanic throw off the alignment when he replaced the CV axle assembly???

I'm bringing it back Wednesday to get the passenger side wheel bearings replaced...hopefully they don't try to charge me for a front-end alignment, as it wasn't a problem before I brought it in....

Oh, it's an AWD 97' Subaru Brighton wagon.

What do you folks think?

Edited by Lanky

could have - the top strut mount bolt adjusts alignment and is a common bolt to remove. But it doesn't hold alignment on all vehicles, so maybe he didn't know?

But - is it an aftermarket axle? Aftermarket axles are notoriously junk. I don't ever use them any more, my time is too valuable. I've personally seen them leak, vibrate, shake like mad, click, and explode in less than 10 miles after installing new.

Does it vibrate different or make noises different when accelerating, coasting, or decelerating?

Any change around turns?

You're describing sounds really bad, I would imagine that being alignment but it could be.

The severity of the shaking doesn't really change much if I'm accelerating or decelerating or whatever. I just don't like getting one problem fixed, only to create 2 new problems that weren't there before. I'll call them on Monday and *************** about it...I'll assume they had one of their "non-experts" do the repair. He/She must have glanced over the section in the FSM that tells them to index the position of all vital parts before removal...We'll see.

Thanks for the reply.

What kind of axle was used?

If you're asking who the manufacturer was, I don't know. Looking at the invoice though, it appears it's a remanufactured one anyhow. So, that's probably not the best thing.

My cousin helped me replace the driver's side cv axle about a year and a half ago. By "help", I mean I watched him do it, and attempted to assist him when I could. Nothing higgy happened after he was done, but he worked at a Subaru dealership as a mechanic for a few years so I reckon he knew what he was doing.

I attempted this repair myself, but I don't have air tools, and I managed to half round the head of the bolt that holds the steering knuckle on, hence why I brought it to the shop instead.

Well, now the brakes are completely useless. Pedal goes right to the floor when the car is turned on. I tried bleeding them, and some air came out during the process, but the pedal still goes straight to the floor now...

Fantastic.

Do you have brake fluid in the reservoir?

Replacing an axle doesn't even necessitate touching the brakes. Pretty pathetic they managed in messing it up :-\

And not marking the bolts? Pathetic. Any good mechanic knows how camber is adjusted.