Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'85 GL rims

Hello. I love my '85 but I hate the fact that it is a pain to get new rims. So I did some research and figured out that the bolt pattern that I have is 4 by 140mm. That roughly translates into 4x5.5 inches. So what I'm thinking is that a rim off of an old Ford F250/350, which is 8x5.5, will fit on my car theoreticly. I already have the stock suspension lifts/spring tentioners maxed out so I'm hoping a 15" rim will fit with "low pro's".

82A557C2-orig.jpg

hi, those 8 lug rims have 6.5 x8 bolt pattern, they are 16" or 16.5 " diameter and too wide too. there are a lot of threads on modifying some of the 6 lug rims out there, do more searches but a lot of guys use them.

In 1999 Ford went to the bigger 8x6.5 from the previos years 8x5.5. I have been reading about the 6 lug rim mods but I am afraid of screwing up on drilling the new holes.

Get some "pugs" aka Peugeot wheels. The recessed spoke alloys look incredible on these cars.

Since you said you had the suspension maxed out, Im assuming this either has a bumpy road to tackle, or youre going to find it some? If thats the case, many people do the re-drilled wheels as the spoke alloys, are well, alloys and youll damage them and for a 150-300 set of rims... thats no good.

You can find a set on here occasionally or someone in your area might be able to do it (if you have a Subaru master in the area). One thing to look out for... My friend had an 86 GL-10 sedan with re-drilled Chevy 6 lugs... 4 tire places we tried wouldnt touch the wheels. Said they could take them off, but not put them back on as "re-drilling wheels is a safety hazard" and blah blah blah. Ended up taking his car back to my house, removing all 4 tires (and slapping 13s onto a car with maxed suspension and cut fenders which looked hilarious :grin: ) and taking the wheels back in for new tires.

In 1999 Ford went to the bigger 8x6.5 from the previos years 8x5.5.

Not exactly. Actually, not even close.

Before anybody perpetuates this misinformation, here's what really happened, not that it matters to any of us.

97 and older = 8 x 6.5

99 and newer (Superduty) 8 x 170mm.

Dan

In 1999 Ford went to the bigger 8x6.5 from the previos years 8x5.5. I have been reading about the 6 lug rim mods but I am afraid of screwing up on drilling the new holes.

hi,, in 99 they went to 8x170mm , early years had a 8x6.5 " pattern, i have had this same 8x6.5" 8 lug rims for 30 years , you got some misinformation.

Edited by ruparts

Get some "pugs" aka Peugeot wheels. The recessed spoke alloys look incredible on these cars.

Since you said you had the suspension maxed out, Im assuming this either has a bumpy road to tackle, or youre going to find it some? If thats the case, many people do the re-drilled wheels as the spoke alloys, are well, alloys and youll damage them and for a 150-300 set of rims... thats no good.

You can find a set on here occasionally or someone in your area might be able to do it (if you have a Subaru master in the area). One thing to look out for... My friend had an 86 GL-10 sedan with re-drilled Chevy 6 lugs... 4 tire places we tried wouldnt touch the wheels. Said they could take them off, but not put them back on as "re-drilling wheels is a safety hazard" and blah blah blah. Ended up taking his car back to my house, removing all 4 tires (and slapping 13s onto a car with maxed suspension and cut fenders which looked hilarious :grin: ) and taking the wheels back in for new tires.

I have a set of 6 pugs that are 14" that would work. I think I am deciding to not use them. If you are interested, you can PM me. Robert

It's not that I plan on taking it down a bumpy road. It's that I tend to have to because I'm a delivery driver. Before I raised the front and just had the rear lifted I could hear rubbing when I tried to drive over deep ruts. But Alaska does have more than it's fair share of wheeling trails. But I won't hit those until the sooby isn't my main form of transportation.:grin: 2003 Dodge Durango when I get the heads fixed. The 4.7 suxs!

Edited by AK_Kev_007
Miss type

Ahh gotcha :)

I wanna go to AK and have some fun in the snow and mud and trails...

My scoob has been offroad in its stock form, even with low profile tires and alloy pugs (may not have been a smart decision, but fun... hmm very! :banana:

NedMudtoday.jpg

Photo = lots of mud - ride home in the rain + next days sun. Thats why it looks like just dust, but no, I was in the mud and even took it into a place that I wasnt sure I wanted to go, but thank god for D/R 4X4 lol.

Definitely wanna see wheeling pics of your scoob when it happens, even the after photos (like mine) you can just tell that I had fun, and when you post pics, Ill know you had fun!