Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 4wd subaru wheel bearing?

so my car was making a nasty clunk and griding noise, and i thought it was the cv axle at first, and now i have found out its one of the wheel bearings as it is coming out in pieces. it appears there is 2 bearings on that assembly that holds the end of the cv axle, and its the inner one that is shot. how do i get a new one in?

If you plan on doing the wheel bearings, I would assume you are doing the oil seals there too. Make a mental note of the direction that the seals are sitting before you pull them off so they go back on the correct way.

One thing that helped me when I did mine, was putting the bearings in the freezer the night before, and after the knuckle was clean, putting the knuckle in the oven at 150 degrees. A LOT less beating involved.

Getting the bearings from a bearing supplier instead of a parts house will save you $$, plus you can also run sealed bearings, which last longer and don't rely on the stock seals. The bearing number is 6207. The sealed ones are 6207-2RS. I recently bought a full set of 6207-2RS(4 bearings) of front bearings for $50($12 each), instead of napa/carquest/autozone's $42 for one unsealed. Mcguire Bearing is the place I went, they had 80 of them instock at the Seattle warehouse last I checked.

oh man i wish i would have read your guy's posts before going to the parts store. i paid 20 bucks a bearing. the seals are real cheap tho. they had to order one in for me and its gonna be here to day so we will see how it goes. i got them out easily without taking that whole assembly off. and i have one of the bearings in the freezer, and ill be sure to put the other one in when i get it.

so i get real annoyed when i have to beat on stuff. especially when its hard to beat evenly on something and i was too lazy to take it all the way off, so i made a little press type deal and it worked really good incase anyone wants to do what i did. i just used a long bolt, and found some big washers that worked with the old bearing. and i ground the old bearing down a little bit. and had a plate on one side. when i put the bearings in, i tightened the bolt, and it sucked the bearings right in.

0518111637.jpg

05181116391.jpg

thanks, when i was trying to get the bearing in, it was going in crooked, so i just some how thought of this ider.

I never have the tools to do what I need, so this sort of stuff is cool. Gives me ideas of how to make stuff up to get things done without the proper tool.

Would have made that trailer wheel bearing job much easier today if I had one of those... ha.

What I did was cut the outer race from an old 6207 in half and weld it back together (this shrank it so it fits without interferance into the knuckle) and then welded a pipe nipple to it and threaded a pipe cap onto it. I use it to either press the bearings in on my press or more typically to knock them in with a dead-blow. The fit is not that tight and they go in easily if you insure there is no burrs or imperfections in the bearing pocket.

Don't forget the spacer! :rolleyes:

GD

What I did was cut the outer race from an old 6207 in half and weld it back together (this shrank it so it fits without interferance into the knuckle) and then welded a pipe nipple to it and threaded a pipe cap onto it. I use it to either press the bearings in on my press or more typically to knock them in with a dead-blow. The fit is not that tight and they go in easily if you insure there is no burrs or imperfections in the bearing pocket.

Don't forget the spacer! :rolleyes:

GD

oh man forgetting that spacer would really make a day.