Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please Help Timing Belt Srew Up?

Ok, I'm changing the timing belt on my 2006 non-turbo Forester with automatic transmission. The factory timing belt on the car reads part #13028AA181.

The lines on the factory timing belt NEVER line up with the timing marks when everything is in time. It looks like the belt was installed at the factory with the lines in the wrong place. Is this possible. I guess assembly workers in Japan can have off day too.

One more thing, Walker Subaru sent replacement timing belt part 13028AA231. So, the part number for the original belt in the car and the replacement belt are NOT the same. Any guidance would be grealty appreciated. Everything is closed this weekend and I need to get this car back on the road. Thanks a lot.

Align the DASH MARKS on the sprockets with the marks on the timing covers. The one on the crank gear to the mark by the crank sensor.

DO NOT USE THE ARROWS. THEY WILL MESS YOU UP.

The belt has over 200 teeth, that means over 400 revolutions to get the marks to all line up again.

This is an older engine, and your sprockets will look different, but the idea how to line it all up is the same.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

The lines on the factory timing belt NEVER line up with the timing marks when everything is in time. It looks like the belt was installed at the factory with the lines in the wrong place. Is this possible. I guess assembly workers in Japan can have off day too.
your motor does not need white lines to run! go paint them with black paint on the old belt, that should solve the problem. :lol: the marks are only for install, after that they are not needed nor do they line up, except once every few hundred/thousand revolutions or something. you can calculate it out if you want. they're only meant for install and nothing else.

One more thing, Walker Subaru sent replacement timing belt part 13028AA231.
did you google it or ask subaru? they frequently change parts numbers/update part numbers. they'll tell you if the old number/part is superceded (common).

yea the white lines are really for just making sure the pulleys are in time with each other. not in tiem with the enigne. the pulley have to be alined with the engine marks. but the white lines can be slightly off. i learned that when i lost my spark while i was doign a timing belt swap. stupid loose wires anyway.

your motor does not need white lines to run! go paint them with black paint on the old belt, that should solve the problem. :lol: the marks are only for install, after that they are not needed nor do they line up, except once every few hundred/thousand revolutions or something. you can calculate it out if you want. they're only meant for install and nothing else.

(common).

Finally someone who makes sense!

:banana:

Never go by the belt marks, go by the timing notches.