Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Cuts out exactly at 4,000 RPM after 1st gear. Whats wrong?

If ti was breaking up I would have some, but since it is just cutting out, i am not sure. Usually if the engine looses power as the load increases (goes up in gears) it is usually an ignition issue.

This needs a really good diagnostician.

Hrm

Hrmmmm

Get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure when it happens. You may have a fuel pressure issue from the pressure regulator, i am just guessing and out of ideas.

You need air fire and fuel for suck squish bang. You have suck, you have squish, it is left to bang. The way the iggy sysytem works if it works in 1st it should work in all gears unless maybe fuel delivery is not up to snuff?

im not sure what you mean by the difference of cutting out or breaking up. I think it may be a combination. as I can rev through it and at around 4500 it runs great. I have also noticed thst it does not do it every time which I think is weird. Got some premium fuel and injector cleaner in the car now so we will see if that helps. How would i check fuel pressure?

Basically, your spark plug tips are exploding off because you are running into detonation. Often caused by overheating, crappy fuel, ignition timing advanced too far, or not enough fuel.

Detonation can seriously damage your engine.

Since ignition timing isn't adjustable on these engines, you may be able to rule that out (unless timing belt oddities are in effect).

Premium fuel=good, in this case.

I guess your temp gauge would tell you if you were overheating, I'm guessing it's not.

That kinda leaves your fuel system. You need to check that 1, your fuel pump isn't dying, and 2, your fuel pressure regulator hasn't crapped out. 3, your injectors may be hideously clogged.

Do all of your plugs look like that, or just one?

Check out those links Nipper posted.

THose are not my plugs, they were another posters. Yeah I need to check my fuel system

Oopsie.

In that case, I blame the ignition system. Plugs, wires. Make sure there's no oil or water down in the spark plug tubes. That can raise havoc.

• 7 years later...

any kind of restriction may cause this, check the air filter, exhaust and fuel pressure.

also check the live data on a obd2 scanner. remove the speed sensor connector and clean it. also maybe it's just old fuel or something like that!

On 9/5/2011 at 8:05 AM, Nug said:

Oopsie.

In that case, I blame the ignition system. Plugs, wires. Make sure there's no oil or water down in the spark plug tubes. That can raise havoc.

oil is an insulator so it's "harmless" there, water on the other hand isn't

13 hours ago, heartless said:

this thread is eight years old - why on earth are you digging up old threads?

@Edgars

New member chasing some numbers on their post count?? 

I too thought the same about the age of the thread. It’s a shame to OP never reported back as to what the issue was. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1