Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Wheel Removal Problems

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself and hope that some of you veterans can help me out. I have a 1980 (11/79) Brat the I am trying to get the steering wheel of of and was wondering if it takes a puller or just remove the main nut and remove? It started spinning like the steering wheel spline is stripped. There is a lot of slop in it but the wheel wont break free. I've been thinking of restoring it and looks like I have found the site to go to! I just came across another Brat (a 1978) at a junkyard that is mostly intact for $400. So I may be picking that one up as well. Any help would be great!

I don't think the spine would strip out at the steering wheel. I would look at the other end where it connects to the rack and pinion. Possibly it came loose at one of the joints. If your spine at the wheel did strip out I think you would be in for a new column and steering wheel. I have never pulled a Subaru steering wheel, but when you remove the nut and you see bolt holes you probably need a wheel puller to remove it.

Paul

IIRC 85-86 and back doesn't need a puller, just take the nut/washers off and pull the wheel off. 87 and on does and my 87 was so hard to pull one of the bolts that the puller uses, pulled the threads out of the hub. I was able to sneek a nut behind the hub, re-applied some pressure and used a little heat from a torch....boom! the steering wheel flew off into the drivers seat:eek:

My 85 came right off with a sharp tug

I'd be surprised if the slop is in the steering wheel splines, but I'd find it before you go cruising down the road

Welcome to the USMB:grin:

I tried tugging, hitting, shifting back forth and calling it names....Maybe I had a steering wheel from hell, the heat from the torch also melted my turn signal plate, but I pulled the wheel to replace the column, so it wasn't a problem. It was seriously on there and didn't want to move!