Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Swaps and AC

I have done some searching. From what I have read in other threads it looks like there isn't room for air conditioning and radiator cooling fans when swapping an EJ22 in to an 83-84 EA81 body correct? So the engine options if AC were desired would be limited to EA81 or EA81T?

If it comes down to it, I wonder if an EJ22 swap without AC is worth moving away from an EA81T that has factory AC? Thoughts? Just thinking through some details for one of the worlds longest ongoing Subaru projects:grin:

Thanks in advance

[EDIT]

I stripped down an EA81 Hydro core yesterday and it had a big 2" crack right through the water jacket where it apparently sat without antifreeze in it:(

This was my last Hydro EA81T core. I opened it up today and it looks like it has had coolant sitting in one of the cylinders for a bit too long. I doubt this will hone out. I have pulled about half a dozen of these EA81's down now and all but one are basically junk. Looks like it may be finally time to give up on the old EA blocks as much fun as they are and finish my EJ22 Swap - AC or not:rolleyes:

IMG_2421-1.jpg

IMG_2420-1.jpg

Edited by Crazyeights

Update,

I have the case disassembled, split, and everything pressure washed. Out of all the EA81 blocks I have torn down so far this is the best with the features I want. Hydraulic lifters, all the accessory mounting holes on top for PS/AC Turbo or not depending on which pistons I choose, multi-port heads, ect.

IMG_2435-1.jpg

IMG_2436-1.jpg

IMG_2437-1.jpg

It looks like it would need to be bored oversize. So I need to decide if I am going forward with this build which pistons to use.

Edited by Crazyeights

G'day crazyeights!

If you're going with an EJ22 I don't see why the AC won't fit. The only thing that will be the issue is the thermo fans between the radiator and the front of the EJ.

The AC will either need the pipes to be modified to fit the EA system to the EJ compressor OR fit the EA compressor to the EJ with a ribbed pulley. I reckon the pipes mod would be easier - I'm "getting around" to doing mine - its only been 2 year without AC on the EJ...

The EJ is a sweet upgrade! Well worth the effort!

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks Bennie that's good to know.

I am still trying to decide on weather or not to go ahead with the EA81T build or just shelve it for now and finish my EJ22 conversion. So far I have a good block that would end up .020 over with new pistons and (2) good pair of heads already pressure tested - ready for valve grind, seals, and surfacing.

IMG_2442-1.jpg

IMG_2444-1.jpg

The EA81 Turbo engine cross member all cleaned up

IMG_2409-1.jpg

Edited by Crazyeights