Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So after posting previously my throwout bearing seems to be failing and was recommended that I replace the whole clutch instead of just replacing the bearing. I am pretty much a novice but I know a good mechanic who is going to work with me to change it. I was wondering what to look for when purchasing a clutch kit. I found an Excedy OEM clutch kit on amazon for around 150 but then noticed others that are priced up to 600 bucks. Is there any reason for me to purchase the more expensive clutches? Are there any other things I should buy that should be replaced at the same time? Thanks.

So after posting previously my throwout bearing seems to be failing and was recommended that I replace the whole clutch instead of just replacing the bearing. I am pretty much a novice but I know a good mechanic who is going to work with me to change it. I was wondering what to look for when purchasing a clutch kit. I found an Excedy OEM clutch kit on amazon for around 150 but then noticed others that are priced up to 600 bucks. Is there any reason for me to purchase the more expensive clutches? Are there any other things I should buy that should be replaced at the same time? Thanks.

I used to pay less than 200 for a specific Valeo kit.

I say specific because I paid an extre 15-20 bucks to have all components Japanese for American (rather than 3rd world countries).

Make SURE you get the TO bearing clips at the dealer while you're doing this in my opinion.

I got my Valeo kits on Ebay but I forget from who. But someone will be a little more expensive and list this options of components from countries we think of as having better standards.

I've been very happy with the Grip Force Clutch kits off Ebay as well.

I've put 6 or more in and they have been very good.

Have the flywheel ground as well.

About 50/50 on pulling the engine or Transmission. If you have any engine work to do, t belt, seals... pull the engine.

Seal the Breather plate on the back of the block while you have access to it. I like the aluminum plates but those are getting harder to find.

The Subaru Stampped steel kit with screws are about $20.

I just bought the KSB04 clutch kit from amazon, got it fast, you can trust it's not a knockoff kit.. I installed it and it feels like the factory clutch. Mine is a family car and gets zero abuse. I'm very happy with the clutch and dealing with amazon. One tip, you may want to replace the clips that holds the bearing in the spline. Mine were weak and rusted I think they were $11 for for the 3 at the dealer. The kit came with the correct grease, both bearings,clutch and pressure plate and centering tool. One other tip..check the shift fork boot, this will be the time to change it, if it is anything like mine, there was nothing left of it. Cost me $21 at the dealer, from what I have seen they do not last.

For me the ksbo4 through amazon was a great deal. I had no issues.

Amazon is $143.99 and it's free shipping.. I have seen it as low as 138.00 but have to pay for shipping and amazon is listed a exedy dealer, so you know it's not a knock off kit. On exedys web site they tell you how to spot a fake low quality kit. I guess it is a problem, some counterfeits out there.

Amazon is $143.99 and it's free shipping.. I have seen it as low as 138.00 but have to pay for shipping and amazon is listed a exedy dealer, so you know it's not a knock off kit. On exedys web site they tell you how to spot a fake low quality kit. I guess it is a problem, some counterfeits out there.

I don't order from Amazon often (last time was 2004) I was hoping it would go down a little more but I guess that does not happen much with Amazon.