Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Child booster seat in '87 GL Wag.?

There is a small chance that the later Loyale models 90-94 may have had rear seat shoulder harnesses.

If you swap them in I believe that the holes should already be in the 87.

Things to be aware of.....

The position of the seat belts are specific, you can't swap in fronts to the rear, or side to side.

Ensure that the bolts are good and tight, if they are loose they will shear off at a much lower force.

You probably won't have to swap the buckle, but if you find them I'd grab them just in-case.

You'll need the updated plastic trim pieces as well, they'll have a hole or slot as necessary for the webbing.

Check your car first though, if it doesn't have a 8-10mm hole at about ear level with nothing in it, you won't be able to swap them in.

Thanks guys. I have looked into the piller area where the seatbelt would mount in the newer model gl's/loyales, and there are no bolt holes or welded in threaded nuts like the one I looked at at the wrecking yard.

I know that I can't put in a booster seat with just the lap belt.

I guess i'm just need to see if anyone else has had a solution to this or.....

Thanks,

Bryan

Hey I will check my car when I get home today, I can't remember if it has the shoulder belts, but I seem to think it does...

Yup, I gots them :grin: Come get'em buddy! You can grab all the trim/interior pieces you want to go with it!

IMG_0482.JPG

install14.JPG

All you need to do is tap and drill a new hole, shouldn't be that hard. Maybe weld in a plate behind the bolt before doing the drill/tap to add more strength if you think it's an issue. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Edited by eulogious

Don't fabricate seatbelts, either the holes are there and it will work, or they are not and it won't.

The forces in an accident are extremely high, and backyard fabrication will most likely not have the strength to hold up to those forces.

Most likely the well for the retractors will be different as well.

Don't fabricate seatbelts, either the holes are there and it will work, or they are not and it won't.

The forces in an accident are extremely high, and backyard fabrication will most likely not have the strength to hold up to those forces.

Agreed... and if I recall Noah, you used to do automotive safety stuff as your career right?? (so you know your stuff on this matter)

Eulogious, text me tomorrow...it's been a long week.

Everyone else, thanks for the info. My subi does not have the holes to bolt in newer belts. Not sure what I am going to do, but I won't be ghetto rigging anything.

Not sure what the state laws are...but I do know what the wife laws are. Lol.

Bryan

if your state law (besides california) prohibits the use of lap belts with booster seats, run without one. that is all. just like I don't have to use a car seat or booster with the kiddo in my 67 chevy. no belts :)

I was thinking the same thing actually... Same idea behind airbags. If the car was made before the law was passed, it should be exempt from the law. If we were all required to retrofit our cars with airbags, I doubt any of us would be driving around in our subies.

This would be true if you were replacing the seatbelts... You could just "add" them on :lol: Anyways it seems this is all a moot point anyways because of this statement:

Not sure what the state laws are...but I do know what the wife laws are. Lol.

:lol:

BUT I did just think of something else that might help you out. On my backseat I have this little thingy that looks like you can attach the car seat "straps" too, the ones that attach to the car behind the car seat (if that makes sense):

1000001023.JPG

1000001024.JPG

1000001025.JPG

1000001026.JPG

I don't know the type of car seat you have, but all the ones I have used have those extra safety straps, and it looks like you can attach those to the top of my back seat. So you might be able to use those on top of the lap belt to hold the car seat in better. IDK, just an idea for you...

I will text you in the morning...

That is not a seatbelt anchor, that is a tab that the folded up seat fits into to give you a stable platform in the back of the car when the seat is folded down. Its plastic and at best would hold about 50 pounds.

A 50 pound kid in a head on would weight about 500 :rolleyes:

That is not a seatbelt anchor, that is a tab that the folded up seat fits into to give you a stable platform in the back of the car when the seat is folded down. Its plastic and at best would hold about 50 pounds.

A 50 pound kid in a head on would weight about 500 :rolleyes:

Thanks for the sarcasm, totally needed ;)

I had no idea what those were for, so thanks for telling me. Learn something new everyday...

I wasn't trying to be mean, I just wanted anybody reading this thread to know that that is definitely not what those are for.

Safety is serious business

I know you were not trying to be mean. But like you said, safety is serious business, so there is no need for sarcasm. I too didn't want somebody to read this thread and get the wrong idea. That's all.

I truly didn't know what those were for, so again, thanks for clarifying. :)

Edited by eulogious