Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! 97 Legacy's wiring went *pop*

I was jump starting our EJ22 Legacy a few weeks ago since it has been in storage for a while, when I mistakenly connected reversed the jumper cables attaching them to the battery. :eek: The car made an audible pop, and I pulled them off immediately, but it was too late. No amount charging seemed to bring it up speed.

Later, I took the battery back to Autozone to have it tested. They gave it a clean bill of health. When I went to install it in the car, it still didn't start, but the door buzzer now worked. So, I tried a few other batteries that tested good and they didn't work. I tried jumping, too (the right way this time), but no success. Now, the electrical seems to be half dead.

Here's what I checked:

- power door locks (works)

- door buzzer (works)

- power windows (doesn't work)

- power mirrors (doesn't work)

- air/blower (doesn't work)

- all exterior lights (doesn't work)

- radio (doesn't work)

- instrument panel (doesn't work)

- starter (doesn't work)

I'm thinking it might be some fuse(s) (still checking on that), but do any other ideas come to mind? There's no obvious damage that I have found yet.

Thank you for your help.

you probably blew a ''fusible link'' in the fuse box under the hood, driver's side. (they are the ones that look like a wire loop sticking up.)

a test light will tell you which one or just go to the parts store and get a couple. they are cheap.

or maybe a SBF, slow blow fuse, same location.