Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 hatchback max tire size?

hey guys, I just picked up a 87 DL hatchback 4wd. It needs tires real bad. I don't wanna mess with a lift kit right now. Do any of you know how much bigger tires I could go without it rubbing or shaving the fenders or anything. I wanna see if I can go a little wider of a tire for better traction in the mud and snow and as tall as I can squeeze under there for a little more ground clearance.... any experience or ideas?

Any brand of all terrain tires you recommend also?

P.S. I am not gonna do any extreme mudding or 4 wheeling.

Thanks,

Wes

Are you using stock 13" rims?

I recently went with the largest diameter I could find locally and consistently.

185/70 r13

All three of the tire dealers I typically deal with and trust recommended the Kumho Solus for my Loyale (probably because 13" is not very popular), so that's what I purchased. Purely for highway use though.

ku_soluskr21bw_ci2_l.jpg

Here is my Loyale wearing those Kumho tires:

downsized_0711111151-1.jpg

If you are runing 14" rims you may be able to find a reasonably available tire size that squeezes a little more meat under the fenders.

I have 185 80 13s on mine but they are snow tires so light wheeling only for me, but they are fun in the mud too. OD is 25" and some change. Another option if you wanna take your chances with Walmart tires is the douglas xtra trac. I don't know what sizes they have though but they do have a decent lug pattern for a cheap flimsy tire.

If your planning on lifting at all, even 2", seriously consider a 6 lug upgrade like GD suggested, or even if your not lifting... The options for tires are huge in the 15" size and if you run a 195/65/R15(or something similar), you'd be roughly a 1/4" taller and 1/2" wider than a 185/80/R13. 15" tires and wheels are everywhere and cheap, I bought a set of bridgestone all terrains with %60-70 left on 6 lug toyota wheels for $40 on Craiglist not too long ago.

Search "195" in the CL auto parts section in your area, I just did and saw a set of 195/60/R15 for $50

A 6 lug conversion is easy. It might sound scary to start drilling on wheels and hubs, but lots of guys are running 6 lugs and had zero problems. The toyota/chev/dodge/nissan 6x5.5" wheels work because 5.5" comes out to 139.7mm and the subaru pattern is 140mm, so if you pull two studs out of your drums/hubs, than the other two will mount up a 6 lug wheel. .3mm difference isn't a concern. From there you can convert the wheel to 140mm, by marking the wheel from the back through the empty stud holes(that you pulled to mount the 6 lug wheel) and then re-installing the stock stud or convert your Subaru drums/hubs to 6x5.5" by marking the hubs throught the stud holes in the wheel, then you drill holes and install 4 more studs in every drum/hub. Drilling the wheels is cheaper and easier

Theres lots of threads and writeups on how to do this, try searching the offroad forum