Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, certainly not a major issue, I know.

The matte black paint above the side windows on my Legacy wagon is flaking/peeling off.

Is there a preferred paint to use for repainting?

I was thinking of using a flat black primer.

Any particular prep for the underlying chrome?

from experience. my 92SS i took the trim off, sanded, primed, painted with black lacquer. Reinstalled the trim. Looked awesome, for about 2 months. Then, it too began flaking off. In a year or so it looked like what i started with. Not sure you are going to get anything to stick except for some outdoor black vinyl tape.

I had the same problem. I masked around the the trim, sanded it smooth with 400 wet/dry and painted it with Rustoleum flat black using a 1" brush. Up-close you can see that it was brushed on but it still looks 100x better than before. I did this 6 months ago and so far it's holding up great.

If you don't like the chrome look, sand it down and spray it with etching primer. Once the primer dries give it a quick sand and hit it with your choice of color spray paint and let cure.

That's what I was about to suggest... I did that with my wiper arms and they look good.

I took a wire wheel to them however