Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ebay/Ground Control Coil overs on EA81 Front struts?

aaronxs400

I would think that it's doable. Not sure what it would involve. I looked into doing it on the lego struts I had retro fitted into my brat (updated front suspension/nothing left stock) but it ended up being cheeper just to get some EJ coilovers I found a pair for $50. But I would think the most you would have to do, is modify the existing lower spring perch if that from what I have heard from other people on other forums they are very easy to install.

Edited by 1982gl4

I would think that it's doable. Not sure what it would involve. I looked into doing it on the lego struts I had retro fitted into my brat (updated front suspension/nothing left stock) but it ended up being easier just to get some EJ coilovers. But I would think the most you would have to do, is modify the existing lower spring perch. Might be worth a shot :)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=987118&postcount=1

Ohh, 1982gl4, you just got sticky served!

OP: WJM did something like that on his old RX. You should search for posts by him and learn all you can, then you can ask him some intelligent questions on the subject. You only have a certain number of questions with him, so don't waste them all on something you could have learned by searching:)

Jacob

I've also done them on 2 cars before. Both my silver RX and my XT6 have them currently. The RX has KYB AGXs with the sleeves and the XT6 has KYB GR2s with the sleeves. My only issue with them is since the front of the XT6 is so heavy, I bottom out the struts every once and awhile. Here in the next couple months I'm getting some BC BR coilovers for it.

Remove strut assembly, remove tophat and factory spring, install the coilover sleeve, adjust to the height you want and reinstall.

Yeah I did :lol: Oh well, i knew I had that coming. I'll keep my mouth shut...

I can tell you I got ahold of a rep from the actual ground control company (not ebay brand) and they were willing to sell me just two as the old gens obviously only have two struts. I also feel like there was a thread on here about coilovers on old gen's... but it may have been just for the camber plates.

Edited by 1982gl4

Well since it pertains I would love to hear what they told you and the accompanying price tag.. I didn't think they would have anything for a gen2 aside from springs. and as for old threads I am pretty sure it was Numchux but that was gen3.

Mike

They told me that usually they don't brake up sets, but in rare cases, such as mine, they do. I think the price was around $250 (can be well over $400 for all four) if I recall??? could have been a bit more, for actual ground control, not ebay knock offs. Again this was for the legacy struts I had in my brat not EA struts of any kind. I thought it was fare(ish) considering the prices of good coilovers.

I was lucky and found some k-sport coilovers out of a wrx that had been wrecked in the rear before I made the commitment to buy. Looking back I would have gone for the cheeper ones as there would have been no real advantage of paying that much more for them. I for sure wouldn't if I didn't know they were going to fit.

I've also done them on 2 cars before. Both my silver RX and my XT6 have them currently. The RX has KYB AGXs with the sleeves and the XT6 has KYB GR2s with the sleeves. My only issue with them is since the front of the XT6 is so heavy, I bottom out the struts every once and awhile. Here in the next couple months I'm getting some BC BR coilovers for it.

Remove strut assembly, remove tophat and factory spring, install the coilover sleeve, adjust to the height you want and reinstall.

We're talking EA81 here :-\

Front struts are just a little bit different.

I decided to look at the 82 FSM and the 89 parts catalog, comparing the gen and gen 3 struts.

The spring perches look close to the same (sans 4wd) but I think the sleeves will only work if they can fit over the strut cylinder.

You will also need to get a idea of how long a spring will be needed.

I have 8in springs on my RX (Imp struts).

Edited by Turbone

I don't know that anyone's actually done it on an EA81. So all we can do is speculate. I have used both ebay (R1 racing), and ground-control sleeves on my EA82, with both EA82 and EJ struts. And I've worked on a number of EA81s (haven't actually had the front suspension off the brat since I bought it, but I helped design and install the lift....).

I think the sleeves will only work if they can fit over the strut cylinder.

considering how much bigger the sleeves are than the strut cylinder, I don't think it'll be an issue (and if it's smaller.....a washer would make quick work of it. Bigger? a drill).

IF, the diameter of the strut shaft is the same, then yes, it'll work using the ground-control upper spring perches.

My ebay coilovers did not come with perches, just centering rings, you had to use the original perches to support the weight.

There's very little to them. as long as there's a spring perch, and the cylinder is less than ~2.25" (spring is 2.5" ID, sleeve is relatively thin and fits snug inside the spring) in diameter it'll work.

Ground-control is extremely helpful over the phone. As you would find in my old posts, I bought a set from them that was fronts for an impreza, and rears for an NB miata. No argument, just a bit of a chuckle as I explained what I was doing. Same price as a full matched set. with specified spring rates and lengths.

That said, there was almost zero difference between the 2 pairs except for the upper spring perch. The miata sleeves had had a small bushing pressed into them, but it was still far too big to actually contact anything (although, I did specify that I would be using KYB AGXs, but never actually stepped up from stockers....).

now what would be the best in the rear? mount up some ea82 rear struts and use coil overs on them (although the lifted guys say ea82 struts are very very stiff, may have to disable torsion tube) or just get some shorter shocks?

on my static dropped nissan 720 truck (5 in the front, 7 in the rear, would nearly lay frame) i removed 1 leaf from the pack and used Air shocks in the back, and I would just let the air out when i was parked, and would lift the rump roast end back up when i was driving around. poor mans air ride i know, but we are a bunch of hicks here in central ohio.