Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy ej22 with a 4eat. reverse stopped working last weekend. tranny fluid is fine, doesnt smell burnt or anything. has 220,000 miles. all forward gears work just fine. i was wondering if this is a common issue, maybe just a vacuum line or something?? im new to the new gen. im prolly gonna go to pull and save this weekend and get another tranny if you guys think its toast.

Thanks,

Ryan

best to call it toast, go the pick n pull yard and get a lower mileage unit to install. Look at odo on the car, find one with lower miles.....smell the fluid on the disptick and look at the fluid color, unless they have drained it.

make sure if you need AWD you get one with AWD. some of those legacies in that era are only FWD.

Read up on the torque converter seating.

Make sure you get one from same 92-94 model so you get the right ratio for your rear diff..

research the install issues of torque converters.

^+1 - make sure the car has body damage..not a guarantee, but otherwise it may be there for the same reason - dead 4EAT.

My '95 (same generation trans) lost reverse AFTER I had a flush done. Another shop replaced the clutches only-not a rebuild - as mentioned and was good to go.....$900 later.

TD

haha. It has been too hot here, its always just like another neutral. If it were winter i might get a little bit out of it lol. maybe i will do a 5 speed swap. what all would that require? i can do all the work, im pretty good with a wrench, i just dont wanna miss anything off the donor car(s) cause the pull and save is 100 miles away and the car needs to be runnin the next day.

You have to do a bit of wiring to make it work, plus swap in the pedal box, rear diff, driveshaft, center console shifter stuff, tranny crossmember, ect. It's a fair bit of work, and not a one day project. If you're good and you've done one before, and everything goes perfect, it could be a long weekend job. But if the car is a rusty piece of hell to start with, it can take a lot longer.

Simplest would be to chuck another auto trans in. It's rare that they go.

k, sounds like im just gonna go with another auto. im very confident i could get er done in a weekend, and i would love a manual tranny, but i dont feel like puttin that much work into it. besides, my real project is my truck im doing a chassis swap on. Im just looking to spend a few hours on this car, and i think to avoid the torque converter issues im just gonna leave the tc from the donor in the tranny. prolly grab me some cv axles too cause mine are clickin pretty bad. ill probably go to the junk yard next weekend and see what they got.

my 95 FWD impreza lost reverse back in 2004 it was not worth the hassle I just got rid of the car.

The first time I noticed something was not right was backing up to the gas pump which is on a small hill It was slipping..

Soon later I had to push myself backwards when leaving work.

its worth it to me to keep the car cause it runs good and its a cheap commuter, if i found something else that was good i might get it, but for now im just gonna throw a new tranny in it...thats easy...especially when i have access to a hoist:banana: