Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carfax anyone - or is there another way to find out mileage?

Found an H6 transmission I'd like to get but would like to check mileage first before I buy. But these have the digital odometers and it's dead, it's a parts car.

Can someone do a car-fax for me to check mileage or is there another way? Not sure if I can get a battery/car into this yard or not, but maybe a tractor battery is at least portable.

4S3BH806017664733 is the VIN

google gets me nothing (sometimes it's worked before)

Grab a dash cluster plug for your tool box. A small 12 volt source (cordless drill, flashlight battery, or whatever) is more than plenty to power the cluster and get the mileage. I have done this several times. It requires pulling the cluster if it's still there, but they come out really easy. Plug your battery with connector in to the dash and the mileage shows up as it IS stored in the cluster. It's only 2 wires - power and ground - (obvious on the connector pin-out). If the cluster is already gone Carfax or DMV is probably the only way to recover the mileage. Hope it helps.

Grab a dash cluster plug for your tool box. A small 12 volt source (cordless drill, flashlight battery, or whatever) is more than plenty to power the cluster and get the mileage. I have done this several times. It requires pulling the cluster if it's still there, but they come out really easy. Plug your battery with connector in to the dash and the mileage shows up as it IS stored in the cluster. It's only 2 wires - power and ground - (obvious on the connector pin-out). If the cluster is already gone Carfax or DMV is probably the only way to recover the mileage. Hope it helps.

Pretty great idea. The simple and almost obvious solution and yet not obvious. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

thanks crazyeights, they would not let me touch the car. guess they're worried about breaking things, loosing parts, stealing, etc.

they said to call monday morning and they'll see about getting the mileage. when i do i'll ask if they can remove the cluster so i can power it up for mileage check. thanks!

the power and ground are that obvious? i think i have a 2000 FSM, that should show it hopefully.

The 2 wires are really easy to find. First one is ground and should be common to all the gauges. Second is +12v to the cluster, I think it is at the gauges too. I probably found it with an ohm meter looking at the printed circuit on the back of the cluster. I might have also referred to the schematic, can't remember. The cluster does NOT seem to need power to retain the mileage for an indefinite period of time. It must be stored in some kind of NVRAM or something.

It's a good trick to keep in your tool box. You might also want mileage on an engine you are about to grab at P-A-P like I was doing. A nine volt might even work, but I think I used my DeWalt battery:)

Edited by Crazyeights

Although you mention you cannot touch the car, for others, look in glovebox for paperwork, and here is a good one, look on the windshield for the clingy next oil change due at xxxxxx miles. you can guestimate there. I was looking at a builder car 04 Forester, and asked the miles, but it would have taken the sales guy like 15 minutes to go get the keys or look it up. I looked up to the left corner top windshield, said next oil change due at 87,xxx miles, so i could guestimate the car had a little under that.....told the sales person never mind got it off the next oil change due sticker..

okay i think i've seen the grounds before, from memory on the back of the clusters, though i've never looked at an H6 i bet there are not huge variations. i'm sure i could find a power something somewhere.

will look for stickers if they can't come up with anything tomorrow morning.