Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do about sagging door gaskets?

Besides replacing them, what do you guys usually do about sagging door gaskets? Both gaskets on the front doors on my OBW are just hanging off. I've tried sticking them back on the mounting thingies but if anything gets them sticking to the door jamb they pull off again. The holes are all torn.

Has anyone had any success gluing the torn parts back together or anything? I'm talking about the row of circular holes that have all turned into slits.

I've also considered wiping some silicone spray onto the gaskets to prevent them from sticking.

Any thoughts?

vaseline is commonly used to keep them from sticking too.

maybe you could find some of the clips with a larger head? problem is these were really small and i didnt' find any matching ones at the auto parts store - but i only looked at one place and was looking for stock sizes.

they definitely have lots of stuff larger, everything was. maybe even use a plastic/rubber grommet or washer under the head of the stock clips? lowes/ace has drawers full of various plastic bits like that. or make your own long plastic "washer" to fit in the gasket groove? that's what i think i would do, should definitely work. a long thin sheet of plastic would probably work perfect.

not sure if this is a good idea but you could slit the "outer" part of the gasket to install a clip into possibly? last resort kind of deal.

i just fixed my 02 OBW a month or two ago. i only had one or two unusable slits so it's holding up just fine with the remaining ones replaced.

This may sound stupid, but maybe you could try sticking them down with some type of adhesive caulk applied to the back side? Like the kind you would use to seal doors and windows from lowe's or home depot?

That might hold it down, yet be easy enough to scrape off if you ever wanted to remove it...

Matt

You should just replace the door rubber with good ones not torn. Ie junkyard car.

prevention is key. Do you wash the car in the dead of winter? if so, you probably have water there that freezes at night. When you open the door after it is froze, it causes the rubber to stick to the door jamb, and something must give. in your case, the rubber tears.

Don't wash car in dead of winter. If you doo, take the time to dry out the jambs and such before letting car freeze. Use silicone condition or wipe rubber conditioner on them.

You should just replace the door rubber with good ones not torn. Ie junkyard car.

prevention is key. Do you wash the car in the dead of winter? if so, you probably have water there that freezes at night. When you open the door after it is froze, it causes the rubber to stick to the door jamb, and something must give. in your case, the rubber tears.

Don't wash car in dead of winter. If you doo, take the time to dry out the jambs and such before letting car freeze. Use silicone condition or wipe rubber conditioner on them.

To prevent the sticking issue, I just apply silicone lubricant just before the colder months to prevent the rubber to stick to the door. Much better than replacing door gaskets.

I also have the sagging door seals problem...

it was recommended to me to thoroughly clean the door frame where the seal is supposed to sit, then use the black windshield adhesive to glue the seal back on to the door frame.

have the adhesive, just havent gotten around to trying this method out yet.

kind of like the idea of washering the little clips to help hold the seal to the door while the adhesive cures tho.

I live in the rust belt. Not washing the car isn't an option. I've spent countless hours and hundreds of dollars correcting the damage my sister did by not washing the car when she had it for a couple years.