Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ clutch Upgrade....?

88Subi4x4

Any year XT-6, they only made them for 3, maybe 4 years. You'll also want the pressure plate, as that is where the extra grab comes in, and check the manual to see if the step is different, you'll have to change the step on the EA-82 flywheel to match.

You can't buy a *true* XT6 pressure plate with the stronger spring pack from anywhere but the dealer that I have found - the aftermarket suppliers such as Exedy show the same kit for EA82, EA82T, and XT6.... so while you can *order* an XT6 clutch kit from anywhere - it will only be a true XT6 pressure plate if you get it from Subaru of America. And you are going to PAY for that extra clamping force - they are $165 for just the PP. And neither of mine are for sale.... :)

The flywheel step thing..... supposedly the step for the EA82 is .900" and for the XT6 it's .815". However - every flywheel that I have measured has been .815". I don't know why that is exactly.....

GD

There's all kinds of confusion. I bet if you ordered them both one would be for a 2WD (200mm). Rockauto's catalog, which carries many brands, shows a lot of cross-over between EA82's and ER27's for pressure plate's and clutch kits. Ultimately they look identical and you can never be quite sure you got what you wanted unless you order the XT6 part number from the dealer. The devious thing is that there may indeed be a legitimate XT6 PP availible through the aftermarket - but how would you tell for sure?

GD

Interesting - It looks like Exedy *does* specify a specific kit for the XT6 now. That was not the case the last time I looked. They have a new website setup and they absorbed or merged with Daikin.... I would be using that one for sure:

http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-15009-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B59432

GD's #1 clutch rule - if it doesn't come from Exedy or the Subaru dealership - it will cease to exist if it enters my domain. zzz

GD

This is the one I used when I put the 5 speed trans into the last car I built. I was very pleased with it, tested it up against a pile of logs, and the car just pushed right over them without any kind of slippage.

Decent price to boot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-91-Subaru-XT-and-XT6-2-7L-New-LuK-Clutch-15-009-/280716215832?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415bfd8618

Hhhmmm.....

Part number of the Exedy XT6 kit I posted above: 15009

Part number of the Luk kit posted by Zap: 15-009

Coincidence? I'm thinking the Luk one is made by Exedy also.....

Just an observation. My only experience with an Luk clutch was the 2WD one that was on my lifted wagon and got me stranded in the middle of a 2' deep water crossing..... it had a "lip" around the pressure plate fingers and when I pushed in the clutch it filled up with silt and caused the pressure plate to stick in the "disengaged" posistion. Had to pull the motor at Qman's place and replace the darn thing.

In any case I have used dozens of Exedy kits and had nothing but clutching perfection. The few times I have strayed away from the brand it has been a total nightmare trying to even get a kit with the right parts in it for the job. And Amazon has a great deal with Exedy - best price (less than any of the one's on rockauto), and free shipping!

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder