Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale - EJ22 + 5 speed swap, have some ?'s

Nick_R_23

A few weeks ago I picked up a 1993 Loyale with an EA82 and 3 speed auto trans, and pushbutton 4wd. It supposedly had a blown head gasket, but I changed them out and it still burns coolant. I'm planning on putting a new one on to get by for winter, but eventually I would like to upgrade.

I found an 89 or 90 Legacy that has an EJ22, 5 speed tranny, and is full time 4x4. The engine is getting really weak spark and doesn't run, but everything looks to be in good shape, and the timing belts aren't broken. I want to swap the EJ22 and the full time 4x4 5 speed tranny into my 93 Loyale.

I know the EJ22 will more or less physically drop right in and will bolt to an older trans with an adapter plate, but will the 5 speed Legacy trans fit in the Loyale? I would really like it if I could convert it to full time. The main things I'm worried about are the shift lever position (since I'd be converting from an auto, are the holes the same, do I need to swap consoles, etc? ), and the clutch pedal/cable/etc (what all is involved in swapping one off another Loyale-I have parts cars available). Also, would the gear ratios be the same? I have read the Legacy rear diff won't fit under a Loyale.

Is there anything else I need to know or just common issues/problems? I'm fully aware I need a custom exhaust, make a wiring harness, A/C lines, and figure out the radiator fans.

Also, is there anything else I can use off the Legacy as an 'upgrade'? I.e. struts to get a little lift, etc?

You will need a custom driveline as the AWD tranny is longer or shorter by about 3" (can't remember which). I don't think the Legacy driveline will fit....

The shifter is farther back on the Legacy transmission and more vertical.

The Legacy tranny has 25 spline front axle stubs - you will have to use EA82 Turbo 5MT axles.

Transmission mounts are entirely different. With some XT6 parts I think you can bolt it up..... or you will have to fabricate.

GD

If you bolt the loyale shifter to the legacy transmission, it will all line up pretty closely. The transmission is longer, but the shifter hookups are only about an inch further back than the loyale trans, so it's pretty close. I did this in my '88 XT6 when I put an EJ trans in it. I just un-bolted the linkage from the body (so it could move back a bit) and bolted it to the trans. The geometry is a bit different, but it was close enough to work pretty well.

Driveshaft will have to be shortened 2". no EJ driveshaft will work. The wheelbase is different between the loyale and legacy/loyale.

Edited by Numbchux

I'm not entirely sure - you would have to measure it. The Legacy shifter is probably 6 inches farther back. When I put the Legacy shifter mechanism in a Brat recently I had to shorten the whole mechanism by about 1" and that put it in a reasonable location but still at the back of the stock pan opening. In the case of the Brat we were not able to use the stock console - it's too far off.

GD

If you bolt the loyale shifter to the legacy transmission, it will all line up pretty closely. The transmission is longer, but the shifter hookups are only about an inch further back than the loyale trans, so it's pretty close. I did this in my '88 XT6 when I put an EJ trans in it. I just un-bolted the linkage from the body (so it could move back a bit) and bolted it to the trans. The geometry is a bit different, but it was close enough to work pretty well.

I hadn't thought of that..... though on the case of using an EJ transmission I would prefer the better EJ linkage arrangement.... The Brat's linkage (after a bunch of fab work getting it installed) is like shifting a new STi.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

What about gear ratios? I read that the Legacy rear diff won't bolt up to the Loyale, what are the chances of my current Loyale rear diff gear ratio matching the Legacy's front? If they are different, will the gears swap between the differentials?

Driveshaft will have to be shortened 2". no EJ driveshaft will work. The wheelbase is different between the loyale and legacy/loyale.

I'm using a Legacy rear driveline section and a early GL automatic front section.

The legacy rear is longer. Had to fab a few tabs to move the carrier bearing forward and inch.

Still exerimenting, haven't gotten it driving yet.

Also, I opened up the AWD trans and swapped 23 spline stubs into it so I can pull EA82 axles out of the pile all day long and not need the turbo axles.

Relatively easy in the front.

Massive fab work in the rear. Not adviseable. Use XT6 rear components.

GD

How massive a project is the rear, if I used the Legacy rear diff? I have a rolled XT6 in the yard, and a nearly complete Legacy wagon.

If I kept the stock front hubs and just did the 6 lug conversion, I would use Turbo EA82 axles for the front, and what would match up to the Legacy rear diff?

I've tried searching for the 5 lug swap writeup, but the search won't let me use short words.

How massive a project is the rear, if I used the Legacy rear diff? I have a rolled XT6 in the yard, and a nearly complete Legacy wagon.

If I kept the stock front hubs and just did the 6 lug conversion, I would use Turbo EA82 axles for the front, and what would match up to the Legacy rear diff?

I've tried searching for the 5 lug swap writeup, but the search won't let me use short words.

MASSIVE. There was a thread fairly recently where a guy in england put EJ suspension in the back of his Brat. Making strut towers from scratch.....not fun. And has to be EXTREMELY precise.

First gen legacy ('90-'94) rear ends use male stubs on the diff that is exactly interchangeable with EA82/XT6 rear axles. Done and done. Other options include EJ inner axle cups on EA82 shafts, or swapping an EA82 diff carrier into your EJ housing/gears, that way you have the EA82 stubs.

For the search feature, add an * to the end of your search term as a wild card. That will allow shorter words.

Also, there's a pretty good start (written many many years ago) in the suspension section of the USRM.

MASSIVE. There was a thread fairly recently where a guy in england put EJ suspension in the back of his Brat. Making strut towers from scratch.....not fun. And has to be EXTREMELY precise.

First gen legacy ('90-'94) rear ends use male stubs on the diff that is exactly interchangeable with EA82/XT6 rear axles. Done and done. Other options include EJ inner axle cups on EA82 shafts, or swapping an EA82 diff carrier into your EJ housing/gears, that way you have the EA82 stubs.

So basically, the easiest way to do this would be to use the Legacy rear diff, EA82 axles, and just swap to 6 lug?

So basically, the easiest way to do this would be to use the Legacy rear diff, EA82 axles, and just swap to 6 lug?

I don't wanna sound like I'm bein negative at all here, it would be very beneficial for you to search this forum. There is plenty of info on here as to what's required when changing the lug pattern on your car, regardless if you're goin to 5 or 6 lug....

I don't wanna sound like I'm bein negative at all here, it would be very beneficial for you to search this forum. There is plenty of info on here as to what's required when changing the lug pattern on your car, regardless if you're goin to 5 or 6 lug....

I've tried searching, but there's so much info and people disagreeing on what will and won't work, I just want to get everything cleared up.

5 lug- need xt6 rear hubs at minimum, everything else can be either bought new (rotors), rebuilt (xt6/ea series rear calipers), or built (backing plates/caliper brackets). YOU NEED THE XT6 HUBS!!!!!!

The front can be either xt6 or 1st gen ej series stuff. I put ea inner doj's on xt6 axles. You need to either aqcuire xt6 front control arms or ream out the ea arms to accept the larger taper of the "new" ball joint.

6 lug- just gotta be accurate with layout, and good with making precise holes in your ea series stuff.

That is the nutshell version.

There is a thread on the usrm also with info.

Search "five lug swap" and a thread I started awhile back should pop up in the result. I would link it but I'm on a silly iPhone.

Hope this adds clarification.

Spencer

Thank you, that is exactly the info I was looking for.

I have just 2 things I want to clarify:

On the XT6 rear hubs, they will just fit right on the EA82 rear spindles, correct?

On the front, I would like to use the Legacy/EJ front end parts to match up with the EJ22/5 speed I want to swap in. I'm assuming I need to use the strut assy, spindle, hub, brakes, all from the Legacy. Do I still need to use an XT6 control arm or ream out the stock one if I use the Legacy stuff? Do I still need to change out my tie rod ends as well?

On the XT6 rear hubs, they will just fit right on the EA82 rear spindles, correct?

Yes

I'm assuming I need to use the strut assy, spindle, hub, brakes, all from the Legacy. Do I still need to use an XT6 control arm or ream out the stock one if I use the Legacy stuff?

Yes

Do I still need to change out my tie rod ends as well?

Yes

Well I spent some time gathering up most of the parts I think I'll need.

Here are my donor cars:

'89 XT6

xt6.jpg

'89 or '90 Legacy Wagon

legacy.jpg

5 Lug passenger side stuff (backing plates were junk, making my own to attach to the caliper brackets)

passside5lug.jpg

5 Lug driver side stuff

drvrside5lug.jpg

Is this the crossmember I need for the EJ22/5 speed swap? It's from the XT6 but it was an automatic.

xt6transmount.jpg

Also going to give this a try. It's the XT6's upper airbox and intake tube. It fits the Loyale's airbox but puts the MAF sensor facing the correct angle for the EJ22. The EJ22's MAF is slightly larger, so I'm going to machine an adapter plate from aluminum to make it look all stock.

xt6airbox.jpg

xt6intake.jpg

I also grabbed the radiator, fans, and hoses from the XT6. The radiator is the same size as the Loyale/EA82 one and mounts the same, but I think it's a bit thicker, plus it has the larger hoses/outlets to match the EJ22. Not sure if I'll be able to use the fans, but I have them if I need them.

xt6rad.jpg

Any comments or suggestions?

nice hit, tearing it up!

there's a lot of information because you can do the swaps multiple ways...so the answers depend on you more than facts. many swaps aren't the same.

the XT6 radiators are Subaru only items, do not waste your time with radiator places or shops that say they can get one - they can't because they were never made, except for subaru. places list them and shop owners assume that means it's fact - so people waste their time and money all the time and buy what they think is the right part...only to find out it's a 4 cylinder XT radiator, not the same thing.

anyway - just letting you know in case you ever need to replace the one you got, the XT6 radiators are hard to find, $300+ from Subaru and not available anywhere else.

The trans crossmember needs to be from a manual trans.

You may wanna grab the rear control arms and swaybar if you haven't all ready done so.

Looks like you are a dooer, not just a talker, which I can respect! Be sure and show pics of the progress and stuff too....

Do I need to use the rear control arms? The car was rolled pretty hard (the picture actually makes it look good, if you can imagine that!), and the front control arms were bent, so I think the rear ones have a good chance of being junk as well. Is the swaybar just an upgrade to stock?

And I'll definitely post up a build thread, but it probably wont be until next year. I need to get the Legacy fired off to see if everything's still in good shape. Currently it's not getting spark and I think the ignition module is bad. That and get all the parts collected so I can whip everything out in under a week hopefully. Also sandblasting some of the 5 lug parts tonight.

You only need the rear control arms if.......

You intend to run a rear swaybar, and......

Your loyale (most likely) doesn't already have one......

If you already have one and want to upgrade then at least grab the swaybar/bushings, as it's bigger than the ea82 series bars. The reason I say to grab the rear arms off the 6' is cause they have the swaybar mounts on them and I'm almost positive your 93 loyale does not.

Well, it's a small start. I took the rotors and hubs into work and sandblasted them to make sure everything was still useable. Taped them off and put some black primer on to keep them from rusting as much as possible before I can use them.

Definately looks a lot better!

GEDC0799.jpg