Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale 4WD indicator light

The switch is probably gummed up.

It lives up high on the very rear of the trans, above the driveline. It threads out of the trans case, and then you can clean it out, test it and so on.

If it needs replaced they are fairly cheap.

Some thread hijacking here:

To nwtech: Chances are, your tires aren't all the same size, front to back. If it goes in and out nicely when not moving, but does this when driving on hard pavement in a straight line, that is what is likely to be. Even normal tire wear will cause this.

Rotate your tires, front to back, and it will go away as the tires equalize in size.

I noticed mine takes a bit of time to disengage and then it bangs out of 4wd also.

Now I push the clutch in right as I turn it off and its smooth and disengages right away. This doesnt fix the problem but at least it wont be banging out of 4wd, cant be good fot it.

Chances are, you could get the same effect by easing the gas as you hit the button to disengage. Binding between wheels should not be affected by the clutch, other than it applying torque that keeps the gears from sliding in the transmission.

Is it speed-dependent? I didn't think the 4WD worked in my '92 Loyale until I tried it at lower speeds.

For example, pushing the button at moderate speed, the 4WD won't engage and the light won't turn on. Pushing the button while stopped, the light won't turn on and the trans won't engage until right as I start rolling, then it clunks (softly) and the light comes on. Turning it off, it waits until I slow down to below ~10-15mph, then clunks and disengages. Turning it off below 10mph, it usually clicks right off.

In all cases, the light on the dash seems to follow the status of the transmission, not the position of the switch on the shifter.

*Disclaimer* I've owned my Loyale for about 2 weeks now, so I'm not entirely sure that mine acts as the factory intended. :)