Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering pumps and racks on Subies seldom go bad. Is it possible that you may be low on P/S fluid?

Can you go into detail about the particulars of your stiff steering? Under what circumstances does it occur? Is it all the time, or once a week? A detailed description helps us better to help you.

How many miles. Failed racks either leak like seives, or you have to wait till winter to find out. When the car is cold, they will be like steering through cooled lava until the PS fluid warms up.

My guess would be the universal joint in the steering column is going bad, a common failure.

How many miles. Failed racks either leak like seives, or you have to wait till winter to find out. When the car is cold, they will be like steering through cooled lava until the PS fluid warms up.

My guess would be the universal joint in the steering column is going bad, a common failure.

i agree with nipper. i had a very similar problem and it was the u joint. curtis

It's not actually in the column, it's a pair of u-joints in a separate piece called the steering coupler. You can see the two joints if you look down on the drivers side of the engine bay below the brake master cylinder, and spray them with penetrating oil (not WD-40). If the steering loosens up for a bit, that's your problem.

Easy enough to replace, and about $75 for the part from the dealer.