Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To those of you with 31's

Ioku

So I'm trying to figure out what size tires to run on my 88 GL project I will be using a 5 speed D/R trans with the 3.9 final drive but I want to know if you find 31's to be too big with that gearing. I also plan to use a EJ 2.5 franken engine in this car so it will have alot more power over the ae82 1.8. But I still dont want to have to slip the clutch and bog out just taking off from a stop.

I've driven a lightweight buggy with 31's it did alright.However, for a normal car bodied subaru with a Ea81/EA82 27" tires is about the max I would go.However, with a 2.5L frankenstein motor it should do just fine.in 1st low at idle it will probably be at 5-10 mph.way too fast to crawl but decent for trail riding.I don't know if you will find any mud capable of bogging the motor down as a plus.should be interesting.Be sure to post of some pics and maybe a video of the thing running..

Good to know you don't lose all off roading capabilitys with 31's, I dont, plan on this being a crawler, mainly just to take up the trails and mob through the desert and dunes. I'm going for more of a Dakar rally thing with it, and just think 31's look badass on a Subaru plus the extra clearance and approach will be nice.

Once I get some more parts and metal and can really get working on it I'll start a build thread.

I run 31s on my buggy and it gets by alright though it does only weigh around 900 lbs. But with a frankmotor you should have absolutely no problem pushing 31s. Bout the main thing id worry about is how well the DR 5 speed would handle that kind of torque buts thats a different subject.